First turn advantage

Smallpox vs. largepox, gen2 vs gen5, early war vs. peaceful alliances. Which is your favourite gaming style?
goz

First turn advantage

Post by goz »

In games where people don't play at the same time like play by mail, is there some statistics showing that the player playing first has a slightly higher win rate than the one playing last (since he starts producing earlier, will be the one to get an early wonder if 2 players have the same build orders/resources, etc) ? If so, maybe there should be some FTA counter, the idea being that for a game of 2 players, the 1st player have its first turn with half possibilities (or second player first turn with 1.5) or first city settled produce only half food/prod/trade for one turn so basically every player starts their turn slightly disadvantaged than their opponent and finish it slightly advantaged, this is a well known issue in advance wars (https://awbw.fandom.com/wiki/FTA).

For early wonders, if it isn't already the case maybe it should wait for all players to have played their turn before the game selects who gets it.
Cipher_F15

Re: First turn advantage

Post by Cipher_F15 »

Eh, I don't know, in turn based games, be it Civilizations, tabletop wargames or chess, I often fare better when having my turn after the others, so that I can see what they're doing and anticipate their actions.