What to do about micromanagement?

Smallpox vs. largepox, gen2 vs gen5, early war vs. peaceful alliances. Which is your favourite gaming style?
Wahazar
Elite

Re: What to do about micromanagement?

Post by Wahazar »

marioxcc_ wrote:There is no point in making the engine very general if no mod/ruleset is good enough. A game with a hardcoded but good rules of gameplay is still a good game. A highly customizable game engine with several mediocre rulesets and graphics (like Freeciv) is still a mediocre game.
Which rulesets are good/mediocre/garbage depends on individual sense of game style. Thus highly customizable game allow to make ruleset, which fulfill your needs.
marioxcc_ wrote: It is a shame that “I am a volunteer” is taken to be synonymous with “I do not take this seriously and I make mediocre and sparse contributions” in the free software community. Developing a game is no joke and if one chooses to undertake that endeavor, one ought to do it well. Being a volunteer is entirely irrelevant and not an excuse to doing a mediocre job. Only a person of despicable ethics would find money to be the sole reason to perform well, and perform poorly when money is not offered in reward.
It is an opensource project, thus you have opportunity to make good ethical job adding patches discussed in this topic.
Please submit it to https://github.com/freeciv/
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

mir3x wrote:
marioxcc_ wrote: This information leads me to the inescapable conclusion that Freeciv is garbage and its development team is incompetent. Freeciv has been in existence for over 20 years and it is nearly as primitive as Civilization II. There are 414 854 lines of code among “common”, “client” and “server” according to “cloc” in the latest release (2.6.0) and despite so much complexity, the software still lacks essential features like a queue of orders for workers, automatic assignment of transport ships and the gameplay inherits the bad decisions made in Civilization II. Moreover, the gtk2 and gtk3 clients regularly segfault.
Civlization 1-6 is garbage, it has pathetic multiplayer mode, every game I tried all players left bc of boredom/time waste without finishing game.
Server is run on of players comp. That player can easily run Cheat Engine and boost his gold or whatever.
Managing units/cities is garbage - 10 units and 5 cities - and managing it takes ages - with this time I could manage 50 cities, 200 units in freeciv.
AI is garbage (but better than freeciv).
It carries bugs from one version to another - linux version sometimes crashes when using missionaries in civ5, bug was carried to civ6 to crashes there too. Firaxis is garbage team not fixing bugs.
Many garbage ideas in every game which they abandon in next game.
Figuring that Spaceship is bullshit took them 20 years, In civ6 they changed it to Martian Colony ( thats bs with those techs too). Tech tree is crap, eg. will they ever learn that frigates require cannons ?
Civ6 tileset is garbage, it takes many hours to get used to it, they should release free update with civ5 tileset for ppl wanting to change that in game. Ofc they never did it.
For playing such garbage they should be paying money not taking it. Even on Ryzen 1700X that playing vs 10 civs game is so slow. Playing vs 10 or more AI you can see how stupid AI is.
Every version is so buggy so its wisely not try to run it at least 1 year after release.
Winning on normal mode requires mostly clicking "next turn"

Will they ever learn that Great Ppl are not slaves ?

Overall you shoudln't be suprised that freeciv is small garbage when it tries to mimic big garbage.
What the hell are you talking about?
Do you think poor player commitment in multiplayer is unique to these games? That it goes away just by playing a different game?
Do you understand the difference between "This is garbage" and "I am not accustomed to it"?
...Have you even played Civ3/4? (Of the games, Civ3 was the best "easily manage a large empire" game and let you deal with 50 cities and 200 units.)
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
marioxcc_

Post by marioxcc_ »

Wahazar wrote:It is an opensource project, thus you have opportunity to make good ethical job adding patches discussed in this topic.
It is not my duty. It is the duty of the maintainer, and the developers that originally wrote that code. This is the corollary of the mediocrity that is so widespread among free software programmers: “I am a volunteer, so I am justified in doing a mediocre job; corollary: It is _your_ duty to fix my mediocre half-baked piece of crap”.

I publish and have contributed to free as in freedom software, but those are addition of features. Fixing errors is the duty of the person who introduced those errors in the first place.
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

marioxcc_ wrote:
Wahazar wrote:It is an opensource project, thus you have opportunity to make good ethical job adding patches discussed in this topic.
It is not my duty. It is the duty of the maintainer, and the developers that originally wrote that code. This is the corollary of the mediocrity that is so widespread among free software programmers: “I am a volunteer, so I am justified in doing a mediocre job; corollary: It is _your_ duty to fix my mediocre half-baked piece of crap”.

I publish and have contributed to free as in freedom software, but those are addition of features. Fixing errors is the duty of the person who introduced those errors in the first place.
Which errors do you think are most in need of fixing?
Newcomers can provide perspective that has been lost by those too familiar with a project.
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

This discussion may have got a little too passionate. All games mentioned have their good points and bad. Different people have liked different games and perhaps at different times. I have spent 'an hour or two' playing Civ I (some time ago) and now freeciv's various rulesets & server options. There are many things I hate (with a vengeance) for all these games, but I am still an addict. May I suggest gentle persuasion on the devs. (If we gang up maybe they may change their priorities.)