is it possible to build a canal?

Smallpox vs. largepox, gen2 vs gen5, early war vs. peaceful alliances. Which is your favourite gaming style?
drgerg
Veteran

is it possible to build a canal?

Post by drgerg »

Building canals is part of world history, but it just dawned on me, I don't know how to build a canal in our favorite game. Is it possible? If so, how?

Think of all the canals, there's a major network in Europe, the one connecting the Rhine and the Danube, there's several connecting the three major rivers in France, more in the UK. I think you can get from the Bay of Biscay to the Black Sea or the Baltic Sea using only rivers and canals. Then the American canals, starting with the Erie canal (did you know that George Washington was an investor in the canal along the Potomac river?) The Chinese also built canals. Then there's the two world changing canals, the Suez and the Panama. And we can't forget about the Kiel canal.
drgerg
Veteran

Re: is it possible to build a canal?

Post by drgerg »

I have built a canal (indirectly) via building a city on an ithmus of land. If the ithmus is just one unit of land wide, built a city. This naval forces can enter the city from one sea, pass through the city, and go out into the other sea.

However, I'd like to build canals between rivers, the way the French and Germans did it.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

No supplied ruleset has canal, but variant2 ruleset (for freeciv-2.6 and up) has.
drgerg
Veteran

Post by drgerg »

Thanks, this gives me a reason to download 2.6beta and try out different rulesets,
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Also, if minimum distance between cities is 1, you can set an array of cities to be used as a channel.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Or alternately you can transform: forest -> swamp -> ocean. Might be a bigger canal than you were hoping for, though.
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
ahfretheim

Post by ahfretheim »

I'm thinking of adding a canal "road" to the Big ruleset I'm working on, maybe with Engineering as the requisite technology. It shouldn't be terribly hard to do actually.
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

With existing rules, canal can be done by using engineers. Bridges can be arranged using cities or pass on diagonal sea tiles.
Once canal was finished, I sealed it again with engineers on ship, and placed town here, thus my ships can go trough, enemy not:
canal.jpg
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047