Global warming makes games boring

Smallpox vs. largepox, gen2 vs gen5, early war vs. peaceful alliances. Which is your favourite gaming style?
fomalhaut

Global warming makes games boring

Post by fomalhaut »

In previous versions, Global warming changed land tiles to jungles, swamps, or deserts one after another.
Therefore my nation was forced a decline of economic or productive powers.
I hated it, but on the other hand, I made an effort to reduce the amount of pollutions.

In latest versions, Global warming changes land tiles to oceans directly.
This just makes players happy and this is no longer a disaster.
Because with Harbor and Offshore Platform, oceans supply a sufficient amount of food, shield, and trade points.
Also roads disappear along with land tiles, Howitzers become completely useless.
I have no choice but to use Cruise Missiles, so wars become boring.

I preferred how global warming worked in the older versions.
It must be a mega disaster which should be avoided absolutely.
dunnoob
Elite

Re: Global warming makes games boring

Post by dunnoob »

In latest versions, Global warming changes land tiles to oceans directly.
You can see it in the 2.4.x .../data/default/terrain.ruleset looking for warmer_wetter_result, affected were grassland, jungle, plains, swamp, and tundra. Changing the URL to S2_3 and then S2_2 I think you are talking about a modification in 2.3, i.e., it was different in 2.2.

Simple suggestion, copy your 2.5.4 .../data/classic folder to a new .../.freeciv/2.5/classic22 folder in your HOME directory, edit the five warmer_wetter_results in .../.freeciv/2.5/classic22/terrain.ruleset to whatever you like better, and create a text-file .../.freeciv/2.5/classic22.serv with one line rulesetdir classic22. Your HOME directory is wherever you find the .freeciv/2.5 stuff. 8-)