Culture? Acts?

Smallpox vs. largepox, gen2 vs gen5, early war vs. peaceful alliances. Which is your favourite gaming style?
Arbogast
Elite

Culture? Acts?

Post by Arbogast »

In the newer freeciv versions -2.5.99- I noticed a new line in the Demographics Report: Culture and Acts, but I couldn't find any explanations about them. So, if anybody could give me some leads... it would make me very happy :roll:
sveinung
Elite

Re: Culture? Acts?

Post by sveinung »

I assume that you are referring to Culture and Achievements. Those are new concepts. You can't do anything with them unless they are possible in the ruleset you play. (I don't think they are in use in classic and civciv3)

An achivements is something you gain by reaching a ruleset defined goal. If the achievement is unique you must be the first to reach it. To see what it can be like start a game with the experimental ruleset. Start exploring the seas. (Achievements: Discover another island. Explore 20% of the map. Explore 100% of the map. Launch a spaceship.)

Culture is something the ruleset can give your cities, say for having a certain building. The ruleset can allow you to win a cultural victory. It can also make culture influence the game in other ways. In experimental you get culture from Library, University and Colosseum.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Great!
Another new angle to Freeciv.
And Thank you.

EDIT: I just launched a new game with the Experimental Ruleset, and 20 turns later I noticed that 'Culture' and 'Acts' don't show up in the Demographic Report!
What I'm I missing?
bard
Veteran

Post by bard »

Culture and achievements were recently added to civ2civ3 too. For now, they are only a demographic statistic, but the plan is to use the culture to increase the defense against diplomatic attacks (incite, bribe, civil war...).
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Thanks Bard for the abstract. But what triggers the Culture and Acts points?
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Arbogast wrote: what triggers the Culture and Acts points?
Check out .../experimental/game.ruleset in a 2.6 alpha version (2.5.99). Near the end of this game.ruleset after the disasters you find various achievements. No idea what they actually do, my "upgraded" 2.5 ruleset (+ anything new found in 2.6 experimental) can be started, but crashes silently at the first move.

EDIT: Line 570 etc. in this file.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Thanks to all of you!
Learned many things that should be "enabled" to make things work.

EDITED one day later:
On the 2.6.0 version with the classic ruleset, in the "victories" line, "Culture" has to be added. Thus it appears from the beginning of the game in the "Demography" window.
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

How these Achievements works? Are they unique, once triggered or multiple triggered?
For example Land_Ahoy - you can gain it only once?
Multicultural - for each conquered city, or only first one? For each turn or only once?
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Well, I checked it, seems that multicultural is a single event bonus.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047