AI is totally lame

Smallpox vs. largepox, gen2 vs gen5, early war vs. peaceful alliances. Which is your favourite gaming style?
djconklin
Veteran

Re: AI is totally lame

Post by djconklin »

How do I stop the AI from disbanding my cites? It tells me that they are looking for a better life--which is not really possible, but okay, why not give me chance to buy/build the stuff to get the quality of life up? And they should not have expected the life in the new city to be a bed of roses right off the bat!
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

djconklin wrote:How do I stop the AI from disbanding my cites? It tells me that they are looking for a better life--which is not really possible, but okay, why not give me chance to buy/build the stuff to get the quality of life up? And they should not have expected the life in the new city to be a bed of roses right off the bat!
That's not an AI issue, but part of the migration system. Depending on the ruleset you're using, you might be able to enable or disable migration in the game/server settings (even while the game is running). When migration is enabled, you'll have to keep your citizens happy or risk them migrating away – either to another of your cities, or to another nation entirely.. On the flip side, if you have cities close to another player's cities and your cities are significantly better, you might find foreign immigrants joining your cities.
~ AVL
nutzer

Post by nutzer »

I think this evaluation is justified! I have been playing this game since many years on an "occasional" pattern and I find the games have been more interesting of old. As for 2.6 I have a savegame here which, when I take over the most advanced AI player, shows they built 28 Workers for 10 cities and these workers are standing around, nominally building roads but not building anything, while most of the economy fields are still lacking irrigation. AI always shows tendencies for the extreme and runs itself into non-working extremes. Actually, the mentioned bug could also be a game-playing bug, which then is even more serious.

Unfortunately, I see this program on the degeneration course. Whether this dangerous drift can be reversed is an open question! ;)
PatTheCatMcDonald

Post by PatTheCatMcDonald »

Well... open source. There is any amount of scope for development when it comes to AI behaviour. Persnonally I'd like an AI that really digs how, why, when and where to use air power to full effect but I'm not going to hold my breath for it to happen.

I guess you could extend that to just about all combat and diplomatic behaviour.

I have found sometimes AI allies quite useful if they've been decimated by barbarians and need rescuing.

It can get so bad that the barbs know more tech than you do, if another AI is way ahead on the tech tree.
PatTheCatMcDonald

Post by PatTheCatMcDonald »

nutzer wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:06 am , nominally building roads but not building anything, while most of the economy fields are still lacking irrigation.
Yes, I noticed the AI on 2.67 couldn't work out when to irrigate a hill to get isolated "flat" plains and grasslands squares irrigated or farmed. It's not clever enough to irrigate the hill to irrigate the isolated tile, or chop down a forest to get the isolated tiles irrigated and later on, farmed.

I haven't been playing 3.05 long enough to say whether it does the same thing. It's a minor fault it doesn't help the AI players. An isolated valley in between hills is left alone, which cuts the potential of population. If the valley is filled entirely with forests, the hills might be mined, but the actual forests can't be worked for lack of food (and sometimes, not enough to even work alll the mines on the hills).

One thing about building roads - if a tile is beyond any borders at all, building roads is the only option. Players can't mine or do similar basic improvements, but they can always build roads beyond the edges of current civilizations. So building roads in such areas for later occupation does make sense if the workers / engineers have nothing else to do.
Bricelfaunk

Post by Bricelfaunk »

Have you explored the game/server settings to see if migration is enabled, and do you have any suggestions on how to address the issue of AI cities disbanding due to citizens seeking a better life, especially in relation to improving quality of life in the cities?
:)