A WINNING QUIRK

Smallpox vs. largepox, gen2 vs gen5, early war vs. peaceful alliances. Which is your favourite gaming style?
Arbogast
Elite

A WINNING QUIRK

Post by Arbogast »

I'm pretty sure about what I am saying, but I would like a confirmation.
When you move a unit -5 workers in this case- into a blank tile with no moves left, you wait one turn to set them working. But if you backtrack and re-select them (with the 5 key), you can give them the orders to work -say irrigate- and the workers will obey. The tile will be irrigated by the next move. Thus a win of a turn. It also works with roads, forts and all. This is from the Default3 ruleset, but it seems to work anywhere. Comments?
cazfi
Elite

Re: A WINNING QUIRK

Post by cazfi »

What version of freeciv you are using?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

What is supposed to happen that, yes, you can change the current activity of the worker even when it has 0 movement, but then when its remaining movement points would be added to the pool of work done for the activity, that would be 0.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

On this case it's 2.4 but like I said it seems to work with other versions too.
But then, like I said, the orders are taken into account into the next turn.
Cazfi: That's what this is all about. I maintain that the workers will work on the next move/turn so thus it wins a turn.
Have you tried it?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:Have you tried it?
I just did, though with default ruleset.

I created 20 workers in the editor. Then I moved them to next tile (Plains) so they had 0 movement left. Then I set them to Irrigate and pushed turn done. Irrigation did not get finished (for plains the irrigation time is 5, so 20 workers would get it done 4 times in one turn, if they had full movement when beginning the task)

I then made all but one worker idle. The middle-button info shows that the single worker will finish the irrigation in 5 turns, i.e., there's no work done towards it yet.

So, in my testing it works perfectly. Addition of 20*0 to work pool does not increase it at all.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

But thanks for forcing me to think about this. There's probably bug or two in how pillage is handled. (One bug in 2.5 and earlier, another in trunk)
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I am checking in all this. Should get to you soon. But I don't understand your lingo clearly, as always :x
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Maybe you have misunderstood what is the unit of work. Irrigating Plains does not take 5 turns, but 5 movement points. Single worker who has 1 movement point to spend each turn just gets 5 movement points in 5 turns. Engineer has 2 movement points each turn, so it works twice as fast. If the unit has already spent part of it's movement point(s) before it starts to work, it contributes only that reduced amount toward irrigation. If unit has 0 movement points left, it contributes nothing.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Cazfi, thanks for your explanations!
So I pulled the game in question and here is how shows:
I send 5 or 6 workers into a virgin tile and they do not have further moves. I backtrack to them and order them to irrigate, they obey.
(With the middle button of the mouse I check and it says that irrigation will take 2 moves.)
I then hit 'end turn' and I find that the irrigation is done. in ONE turn.
Thus my first post. By backtracking you win ONE turn.
I get a little confused with your distingo about movements and turns. They are the same thing ain't it?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:Cazfi, thanks for your explanations!
So I pulled the game in question and here is how shows:
I send 5 or 6 workers into a virgin tile and they do not have further moves. I backtrack to them and order them to irrigate, they obey.
(With the middle button of the mouse I check and it says that irrigation will take 2 moves.)
I then hit 'end turn' and I find that the irrigation is done. in ONE turn.
Thus my first post. By backtracking you win ONE turn.
I get a little confused with your distingo about movements and turns. They are the same thing ain't it?
So you get different result than I got with tip of 2.4 branch. What is the terrain you are irrigating? Can you send savegame to reproduce this?