AI cheating is very difficult and the governor uses a lot of cpu

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
userfreelinux

AI cheating is very difficult and the governor uses a lot of cpu

Post by userfreelinux »

Hello
I easily defeat the AI on the hard one, but on the difficulty "cheating" is impossible.
I capture some AI cities at first, but it searches too fast and then crushes me with frigates and carabiners.
AI is very aggressive, so diplomacy is not an option
What should I do ?

I'm not sure you'll understand why I'm using google translate
alias i play in the civ2civ3 ruleset

me just defending myself is a bad strategy because the AI will end up researching mortars and defeating me
I already tried this and it turned out to be
I tried to use the atomic bomb to take over the AI cities, but before I could build my first AI I had defense against it.

I also wanted to say that the governor uses a lot of cpu when you have a lot of cities and that's really bad for my atom64 cpu

I just love this game, though I've never played it against humans.
Jacew

Re: AI cheating is very difficult and the governor uses a lot of cpu

Post by Jacew »

userfreelinux wrote:Hello
I easily defeat the AI on the hard one, but on the difficulty "cheating" is impossible.
I capture some AI cities at first, but it searches too fast and then crushes me with frigates and carabiners.
AI is very aggressive, so diplomacy is not an option
What should I do ?

I'm not sure you'll understand why I'm using google translate
alias i play in the civ2civ3 ruleset

me just defending myself is a bad strategy because the AI will end up researching mortars and defeating me
I already tried this and it turned out to be
I tried to use the atomic bomb to take over the AI cities, but before I could build my first AI I had defense against it.

I also wanted to say that the governor uses a lot of cpu when you have a lot of cities and that's really bad for my atom64 cpu

I just love this game, though I've never played it against humans.
Expansion fast, early, and continuously is my usual strategy. Even when in the middle of war, you shouldn't fully give up colonizing further.

After initial expansion, make sure to grow your main cities as fast as you can. The research is very much dependent on how big you can grow your cities.

Also, don't bother with buildings early on, city needs to produce enough trade or science before library or marketplace is useful.

Make sure you have at least two, preferably three defenders in every city, before focusing to build something else.

Great Wall and Great library are two probably most important wonders you should race for. Then start towards Leonardos workshop and Gunpowder.

With fast games, getting musketeers and cannons first is pretty vital. That's why I prefer much slower research in my games. Waging war before cannons is just suicidal in "normal" Civ games.
userfreelinux

Post by userfreelinux »

it's hard to expand on this difficulty while the AI chases the colonists
I usually put a medium defense unit with a wall, library and try to develop federation.
this minimizes corruption and increases money earning

remembering that I'm in the civ2civ3 ruleset as I said above, so some things like the big library are different

the AI doesn't attack fortified places without strong units, which gives me some time.

the big problem is that the AI easily overcomes my defenses.
it looks like her research was stolen because it's too fast

I will try to expand anyway !
Jacew

Post by Jacew »

userfreelinux wrote:it's hard to expand on this difficulty while the AI chases the colonists
I usually put a medium defense unit with a wall, library and try to develop federation.
this minimizes corruption and increases money earning

remembering that I'm in the civ2civ3 ruleset as I said above, so some things like the big library are different

the AI doesn't attack fortified places without strong units, which gives me some time.

the big problem is that the AI easily overcomes my defenses.
it looks like her research was stolen because it's too fast

I will try to expand anyway !
I do always play with cheating AI, albeit on a big maps, so enemies chasing my colonists is hardly ever a trouble. I just focus colonizing inhabited places.

Good strategy is to keep strong attackers in and nearby cities along with strong defenders, so I they can cut the invaders, before they have chance to attack. Cavalry and kinights are especially great for this.

Also, terrain makes every difference. Try to keep defensive units on mountains, hills and forests across country to diverge and hinder attacking forces.
userfreelinux

Post by userfreelinux »

I'll try thanks
I think my problem is that I don't like doing micromanagement
I end up not paying attention to individual units