How comes my initial units now die off quickly ?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
Gavroche

How comes my initial units now die off quickly ?

Post by Gavroche »

I've been experimenting with the augmented2 modpack, then came back to vanilla Freeciv, but this time with the hexagonal tiles. Now my initial units die after some turns. There was a message stating that they run out of hitpoints because they're not attached to any city, but I'm unable to set a home city for theim, either.

I've just started a new game with `ccx` as my initial units. At turn number 5, the explorer is already halfway to death :cry: . The ruleset is either *default* or *classic*, in recent games it's been the same with both, I think.

I haven't found any preference or configuration item that could explain this. What gives ?
cazfi
Elite

Re: How comes my initial units now die off quickly ?

Post by cazfi »

Sounds like you've set server setting 'killunhomed' to a nondefault value.

Code: Select all

> explain killunhomed 
Option: killunhomed  -  Slowly kill units without home cities (e.g., starting units)
Description:
  If greater than 0, then every unit without a homecity will lose
  hitpoints each turn. The number of hitpoints lost is given by
  'killunhomed' percent of the hitpoints of the unit type. At least one
  hitpoint is lost every turn until the death of the unit.
Value: 0, Minimum: 0, Default: 0, Maximum: 100
Gavroche

Re: How comes my initial units now die off quickly ?

Post by Gavroche »

Hurra !

I confirm that the killunhomed parameter in the [server] section of the file ~/.freeciv/freeciv-client-rc-2.6 does it. Incidently the corresponding UI field is "Slowly kill units without home cities" in the [Military] tab of the game settings.

I still don't quite understand how this setting was modified without my knowing. Probably a side effect of this modpack thing.