Civil disorder

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
jpsm
Veteran

Civil disorder

Post by jpsm »

What's the cause of civil disorder under despotism and monarch?
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Civil disorder

Post by Ignatus »

The same as at another governments: too many cities, too many citizens. In some games citizens of nations that you are in war with also contribute into unhappiness. Despotism and monarchy in most rulesets are much more tolerate to sending military units overboard than, say, democracy, and may pacify the rebel by placing the mil.units inside the city, but these effects may have limits, consult the game help. Usually, in a sizeable coty you can't or should not keep peace without at least a temple.

You probably should use governors to prevent unhappy citizens from outnumbering happy ones, or do it manually.
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

Ignatus wrote:The same as at another governments: too many cities, too many citizens. In some games citizens of nations that you are in war with also contribute into unhappiness. Despotism and monarchy in most rulesets are much more tolerate to sending military units overboard than, say, democracy, and may pacify the rebel by placing the mil.units inside the city, but these effects may have limits, consult the game help. Usually, in a sizeable coty you can't or should not keep peace without at least a temple.

You probably should use governors to prevent unhappy citizens from outnumbering happy ones, or do it manually.
Thank you! I assumed that this was only a problem of Democracy and Republic but other governments have it too. I built temples in many cities and it stopped but there were 2 cities that ever temples, courthouses, and marketplace didn't work but when I transitioned from Despotism to Monarchy order was restored in these 2 cities. I didn't understood why.
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

Ignatus wrote:too many cities, too many citizens.
This algorithm that cause unhappiness over the number of cities was a dumb way to punish smallpox because you can found many cities but largepox if you configure the map to be huge. It would be good to change this algorithm to cause unhappiness when cities of the same player have shared countryside instead of unhappiness over the number of cities because if you don't found cities the ais will expand beyond your frontier.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

jpsm wrote:I built temples in many cities and it stopped but there were 2 cities that ever temples, courthouses, and marketplace didn't work but when I transitioned from Despotism to Monarchy order was restored in these 2 cities. I didn't understood why.
If you tax any part to luxury, then Monarchy may have lower corruption than Despotism, and the cities just happen to get enough luxury to be satisfied. Also, in some rulesets one mil.unit in a city pacifies 1 unhappy citizen in despo but 2 in mona. If there is only two cities that are unhappy and you are satisfied with the government in general, you probably should just assign a pair of citizens in the cities to entertainers (or set some governor that does it automatically). When you grow your cities to real megapolises, at some moment you'll have to make some entertainers, just because all other pacifying effects are not enough.

Also, if many cities must assign a lot of entertainers, consider increasing your luxury tax rate instead. When playing for Republic or Democracy, you may want to increase your luxury so much that most of your cities will be celebrating (but note that military unhappiness can't be dealed with by this way, and a single unhappy worker prevents celebrations!) In rulesets with rapture you absolutely must have 2 or 3 periods of mass rapture growth, low scirnce and gold taxes at which will pay for themselves just by doubling your civ's size when the growing period ends. And getting 3 trade from a single road (1 base + 1 Democracy bonus +1 celebration bonus) is just a great gain that pays for the cost of 20-30% luxury.