Nuke/nuclear

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
jpsm
Veteran

Nuke/nuclear

Post by jpsm »

How is it possible that nuke/nuclears does not destroy enemy cities and does not diminish population? In real life it does have these effects. Please someone explain me the consequences to attack enemy cities with nuclear and how to destroy enemy cities such as the enemy capital using nuclear.
jpsm
Veteran

Re: Nuke/nuclear

Post by jpsm »

I wanted to destroy the city called Hormuz because it was the capital of the enemy nation. Bomb this city was not sufficient to destroy it!? so I begin to bomb other cities too to devastate the enemy country. We didn't experienced nuclear winter because I arrived alpha centauri soon but I was surprised that the city was resilient enough to not be destroyed by nuclear (I bombed it multiple times) I'm not sure if it had SDI defense because he was less advanced technologically.
I read somewhere that if you conquest the enemy capital that is civil war that divide his cities. This was not his first capital. There was other capital before but he was smart enough to build a palace in other city so when I destroyed the previous capital I noticed that he moved the capital to other place.
https://ibb.co/tDX2NkT
https://ibb.co/dQG631V
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

When you conquer a capital, the palace moves automatically for free to a random remaining city. Civil war (if enabled by game options) is a chance event, the basic chance you can find on the civ's government help page, and it's modified by number of cities celebrating/in disorder.

Nuke in Freeciv, if not destroyed by SDI (that works in 3x3 radius), only kills units and halves the population (rounded down, so you can destroy a size 1 city, but a size 16 city must be bombed 5 times for it). Usually the game-ending combo is nukes+paratroopers.Yes, it's not that realistic.
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

Ignatus wrote:When you conquer a capital, the palace moves automatically for free to a random remaining city.
I find it strange because it was a coastal city (therefore more accessible to me), the previous capital was in the continent, and I had to incite a rebellion in a neighbor city to use the neighbor city as a military base against his previous capital and to make his previous capital accessible. Now it makes sense the choice of new capital was random.
I thought that this AI followed an strategy similar to the strategy that the Portuguese Royal Family followed when Napoleon invade Portugal. Napoleon want to conquer the Portuguese Empire because Brazil (that was a Portuguese colony at the time) have rich natural resources so his plan was invade Portugal, conquer Lisbon (the capital), execute the royal family and annex the Portuguese Empire to French empire . The Portuguese Royal Family knew that the French Army was superior and stronger than their army but that the Portuguese Navy was superior and stronger than the French Navy so they fled to Brazil and move the capital to Brazil when Napoleon invade the country. He only discovered that they moved the capital to the colony when he conquered the capital.
I didn't know that the capital transfer was automatic so because of it I supposed that the AI followed a strategic retreat tactic to prevent civil war and chaos in his country I became really pissed with the ai and I decided that conventional warfare against that ai was not worthwhile because it would be exhausting because it would transfer the capital over and over again to other cities so I decided to became a bully and wage nuclear war against that ai because when there is a nuclear war no matter to where you fled it's always a catastrophe and a calamity.
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

I have in a new game 2 cities neighboring the capital of another player, as civil war is not sure how can I use this otherwise strategic position against him?
https://ibb.co/ydXFLm1
https://ibb.co/HCPbS0K

This AI have a very bad and unimpressive capital. My capital is much better than this!
https://ibb.co/Wc85hmD
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

At this time I was able to do the thing that I tried previously.
https://ibb.co/Svbv6s6
https://ibb.co/jb5HpQK
Curiously at this time I didn't incited rebellion in the cities near his capital because of a bug that this option didn't appeared so I made a very bad treaty when I gave the ai 4 non-military technologies: Monotheism, Theology, Genetic Engineering, and The Corporation in exchange for these 2 towns. The ai that was technologically backwards probably became impressed with so many techs but didn't realized that 3 of these techs were useless at this phase of the game (Monotheism, Theology, and Genetic Engineering are only for build wonders that I have since many turns) so he gave me 2 towns close to his capital making his capital unsafe to have the right to build freights that aren't dangerous to me in any way whatsoever because frights are for trade routes. I can't understand how the ai didn't noticed that it was a malicious and ill-intentioned treat :lol: :lol: :lol: Probably it is the thing that you said to me at other post that the ai didn't get diplomacy in the same way as humans.
Last edited by jpsm on Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

Are you not sure that the AI from the previous game didn't made a strategic retreat? If not the previous ai was really lucky because I was able to fulfill this strategy this time. It is a based strategy, if the previous ai didn't made a strategic retreat it was luck. In the previous game the ai had a better capital with size 8 and I reduced it to size 1 thorough well poisonings before do industrial sabotage. The siege last some turns. It this time the siege last one single turn. The previous ai had time to make a capital transfer like the Portuguese when Napoleon invaded Portugal.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

jpsm wrote: Curiously at this time I didn't incited rebellion in the cities near his capital because of a bug that this option didn't appeared
There are governments or wonders that prevent inciting cities. AI sometimes uses them. But yes, it's a total moron about strategic map positions.
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

The 2 civil war ais are in cease fire. I don't understand why the algorithm allows these ais to have a so early cease fire because fratricide wars in real life usually last much longer than other types of war but despite of this the partition of this ai country was an achievement.