Tax

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
jpsm
Veteran

Tax

Post by jpsm »

Science is the most important thing but if I decided to build a lot of libraries, universities, and wonders, the money will gradually diminish, and if I'm a democracy or republic I need to get some luxury to people. Which is the optimum percent of money to be invested into taxes and luxury in a way to continue to prioritize science but to not be with little money and have no civil disorder?
louis94
Hardened

Re: Tax

Post by louis94 »

Also build markets, banks and stocks. Don't build expensive buildings (like unis, banks and such) in cities that generate little revenue, they won't be useful anyway. And grow your cities beyond size 4…

Usually I keep as much sci as possible while keeping a positive gold balance and not too many riots (one can eliminate the remainder by starving cities). But I lower it to 0-20% when I enter "war mode" and decide that I would like to rule my neighbor's cities…
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

louis94 wrote:Also build markets, banks and stocks. Don't build expensive buildings (like unis, banks and such) in cities that generate little revenue, they won't be useful anyway. And grow your cities beyond size 4…

Usually I keep as much sci as possible while keeping a positive gold balance and not too many riots (one can eliminate the remainder by starving cities). But I lower it to 0-20% when I enter "war mode" and decide that I would like to rule my neighbor's cities…
Thank you very much for your counsels.
How to know if a cities generate little revenue? If I build coinage I can't build other things...
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Coinage is a very bad investment. If you don't know what to build, get more workers.

In the city dialog, there's a panel with details of the city output: food, production, trade, science, luxury, gold...