How to rule a democracy?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
jpsm
Veteran

How to rule a democracy?

Post by jpsm »

In a democracy (republic too) sometimes that are disorder in cities, the buildings and units that you ordered to be built receive the order to never be built by locals, and things like that. How to prevent those things?
I like to invest more on science because of the technology race but I hate these annoying problems.
louis94
Hardened

Re: How to rule a democracy?

Post by louis94 »

Build temples, cathedrals, or as a last resort assign some non-zero lux% in the tax rates. You can buy buildings even if the city is revolting.

Also, don't send too many units outside of your national borders (ships, military…), they increase unhappiness.
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

louis94 wrote:Also, don't send too many units outside of your national borders (ships, military…), they increase unhappiness.
When the national borders is an island if you don't want to build all the cities too close each other, it is a bit difficult to not try to send ships, settlers and soldiers to protect the new cities to explore the world.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Sure, you need [*]some[/*] units out of your national borders, just not two or three per city :)
jpsm
Veteran

Post by jpsm »

louis94 wrote:Sure, you need [*]some[/*] units out of your national borders, just not two or three per city :)
This is a rule that I would like to change because you can set home to other city after.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

If you want less military unhappiness use Communism :D It makes demo a bit less powerful (it's already way too powerful, ask Corbeau)