Ai Attitudes

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
Lozzymandias

Ai Attitudes

Post by Lozzymandias »

The ai strategic decision-making process is a mystery to me. I've heard it compared to lobsters in a lobster trap but that doesn't seem a fully complete comparison.

It seems obvious that there are certain active actions that can positively affect the ai's attitude. So acts of war, attacking units, taking cities, stealing tech and inciting revolutions can negatively impact their attitude and giving tech, cities, money and the like can positively affect it. What I'm more interested in is the passive attitude changes, the ones that happen even without interaction.

For instance, in a game where the AI and I are of comparable size, the AI may turn friendly, or unfriendly, depending on whether there is a more powerful civilisation, ai or human, around. Sometimes, though, the two stronger civilisations gang up on me. Sometimes whether an ai is friendly or not has path dependency, with varying outcomes depending on who makes contact (and war) with who and in what order. Does anyone have a simple self consistent model for ai decision making?