pollution script?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
Wahazar
Elite

pollution script?

Post by Wahazar »

Is there any script which can be assigned to workers to seek and clean up pollutions.
It is tedious to seek all these pollutions and send workers manually, what is worse, pollution is hard to spot, especially when other unit occupy tile.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
JTN
Elite

Re: pollution script?

Post by JTN »

I'm afraid not.

Autosettlers are supposed to clean up pollution. Their primary motivation is to improve city output, but they do take the risk of global warming into account too. I've been investigating this recently, and it's not that they don't want to clean up pollution -- they do -- but they are a bit dithery and incompetent (in a specific way which I'm still investigating a fix for) so often don't quite ever get around to it.

Once you have spotted pollution on a city tile, from 2.6.0-RC1 (in Gtk3/Qt), you can right-click on the city map in the city dialog and set a task to clean it up, and some autosettler will come and do it, if you have any.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Be warned though; if there aren't any special orders given through the city overview (as JTN explained), your autosettlers might do do something that's not exactly what you have in mind. Also, they only think incrementally, so if more than one change needs to be made to make something more profitable, they won't do it (last I checked).
~ AVL
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Caedo wrote:Be warned though; if there aren't any special orders given through the city overview (as JTN explained), your autosettlers might do do something that's not exactly what you have in mind.
Yes, that's true; once you've unleashed autosettlers, you had better like their decisions. (I hope you like mines)
Caedo wrote:Also, they only think incrementally, so if more than one change needs to be made to make something more profitable, they won't do it (last I checked).
Autosettlers in 2.6 are capable of planning ahead for roads (e.g. build a road because we really want a railway) and bases; the latter doesn't come up much, because bases in standard rulesets don't generally give output bonuses to cities, and it is city output that autosettlers are mainly motivated by.

(We used to have some sort of planning ahead for farmland, gna patch #2889 / r20172, although I don't see an obvious sign that that has survived the generalisation of extras in 2.6 (I could be missing it). In any case, it didn't help the AI much because of the chicken-and-egg situation with farmland and supermarkets, as the ticket notes.)