Irrigation and Mining on same tile

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
Ichiban

Irrigation and Mining on same tile

Post by Ichiban »

I'm new to freeciv, but enjoyed civilization 1 very long time in the past.
I'm a little confused, because I could do irrigation and mining on the same tile for quite a long time. I have seen this also on YTube videos. But since about turn 150-200 it's not working anymore. Okay, on the other hand this should be the normal rule, as it is mentioned in the manual for 2.1.11. But then, why was it possible at the beginning of the game? Has it to do something with the marketplace or the "cooling rooms" and it's science- timeline? (Sorry, I don't know the correct terms in the English version) Or was maybe the ruleset changed in that aspect after 2.1.11?

Playing freeciv windows-Vesion 2.5.10 w/ QT-client > Freeciv-2.5.10-qt
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Irrigation and Mining on same tile

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

It has nothing to do with science and is in fact the intended rule. When exactly the rule was changed doesn't seem to have been documented; the earliest reference to irrigation and mine conflicting with one another I could find was a wiki edit just after the release of 2.2, but there are no mentions of the change in the changelog – everything mentioning irrigation and mining (even before 2.2) is written in a way that implies it was already the case.
What did change in 2.2 however was that the orders to mine and irrigate can't coexist anymore, so here's my question for you: Were the tiles actually irrigated and mined at the same time (i.e. did you get both bonuses)? Or did you just give both orders to inadvertantly have one effect be replaced by the other, effectively wasting worker time?
~ AVL
Ichiban

Re: Irrigation and Mining on same tile

Post by Ichiban »

First, thank you so much for answering. I'm playing only the version 2.5.10 and in the beginning of the game I could at least see, that I got both boni, but I don't know, if it was calculated correctly internal as I'm not a coder/developer. Just later on in the game (around turn 150-200) it wasn't working anymore, graphically AND bonus-vice. It just feels, that it began with the "discovery" of the Supermaket-building, but not quite exactly enough to call this the trigger.