Bombardment: probability to damage a unit

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
javaxubuntu

Bombardment: probability to damage a unit

Post by javaxubuntu »

I would like to know the probability for a bomber to damage enemy units. I didn't find it, so I've done some tests (version 2.6.0-beta2, civ2civ3 ruleset).

Against workers and migrants in a city, a bomber removes between 0 and 3 HP to all units. On average, between 1.5 and 2 HP were removed, so one bomb has a little more than 50% chance to damage a unit. I didn't see a difference between veteran and non-veteran bombers.
Against tanks in the same city, 10 bombers damage about half of their HP (~=15 HP). 15 HP for 30 bombs means tanks had 50% chance to be damaged by each bomb. Attack and defense strength seems to have no effect, because if they had, probability to damage a tank would have been lower.
Sam battery seems to have no effect against bombing.
I could see the bonus against ship attacked while inside city, and the protection that AEGIS Cruiser has.
My tests were not precise enough to measure the effect of veteran level or land unit being fortified in the city.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Bombardment: probability to damage a unit

Post by Corbeau »

Same as probability to win in combat. Attacker's Attack vs. Defender Defence. If they are, say, 6:2 (catapult vs. unmodified Phallanx), the chance is 75%.

Repeat bombard_rate times.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
javaxubuntu

Re: Bombardment: probability to damage a unit

Post by javaxubuntu »

Thank you, I understand now: 1 bombardment = 1 combat round, taking into account attack and defense strength and multipliers.
I believed there was a bug but I didn't see that migrants had 20 HP. This explains why they are less damaged (visually from the HP bar).
I also understand now why sam battery seems to have no effect to protect weak units: having 20% chance to avoid a bomb instead of 10% does not make a big difference.

Everything works as expected. :)