How to control another player?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
Eusebio Ptolomeu

How to control another player?

Post by Eusebio Ptolomeu »

I know how to change the player in edit-mode, but once I try playing with it, I can't. Is there a wau to "unlock" other players for me?
dunnoob
Elite

Re: How to control another player?

Post by dunnoob »

Disclaimer, I never did that outside of "create a tileset test map for two players" experiments. What do you mean by...
change the player in edit-mode
...was that a successful take command, or only an observe? Wild guess, to take another player you have to detach whatever you had before, each client controls at most one player.
Eusebio Ptolomeu

Post by Eusebio Ptolomeu »

I mean take command of another player (even if that means losing comand from the one I am playing right now)
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Eusebio Ptolomeu wrote:I mean take command
Okay, JFTR, first you did a detach for your original nation, then your take for another nation apparently worked as it should, but you couldn't continue the game after leaving edit mode. If that's what happened I'm also curious how this is supposed to work. :oops:
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Probably you have forgotten to aitoggle the player to human you took over?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

dunnoob wrote:
Eusebio Ptolomeu wrote:I mean take command
Okay, JFTR, first you did a detach for your original nation, then your take for another nation apparently worked as it should, but you couldn't continue the game after leaving edit mode. If that's what happened I'm also curious how this is supposed to work. :oops:
In edit mode, switching player does this automatically.

But yeah, like XYZ said, you might not be able to control an AI player, so you need to either type "/aitoggle <name>" in the console or select the player in the nations dialog and toggle its AI mode.
~ AVL