Is there a way to protect bombers

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
nick0515

Is there a way to protect bombers

Post by nick0515 »

Hi all,

Noob question and apologies if this should be in Gameplay or another forum...

Is there a way to protect bombers or use them effectively? When I try to use them after my attacks they inevitably get shot down by enemy fighters. Is the only way to stop this happening to take out most of the enemy fighters in a single turn?

It seems a little pointless using bombers at the moment. Fighters, while not as strong mostly survive so seem like a much better option.

Any strategy tips much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

PS: First post :)
Chanthiran

Re: Is there a way to protect bombers

Post by Chanthiran »

One strategy is to make sure that the bombers are on top of a strong defensive unit e.g. a Mech Inf. So place your Mech Inf next to the city yo want to bomb, then move your bombers on top of the Mech Inf prior to bombing the city. The bomber will then end its turn on top of the Mech Inf. When attacked by Fighters, the Mech Inf should be defending.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

nick0515 wrote:Is there a way to protect bombers or use them effectively?
If the enemy has fighters I let the bombers attack from different tiles. Typically six bombers from six tiles, because I also have a helicopter and an AWACS on the carrier. Otherwise I select all bombers (shift-V) and attack from one tile, that simplifies the refuelling (= all back to the carrier).

If the enemy already has SAM/SDI/Aegis it's a bloody business, unless I can produce bombers faster than I lose them. Disclaimer: Stealth bombers, I avoid wars before I'm ready with research.
First post :)
Nobody here can really help with your developping addiction. :P
nick0515

Post by nick0515 »

Thanks guys, both good suggestions! :D

I'm totally addicted, but have been playing Civ games for many years. I'm a big player/modder of civ3 but currently I don't have much time for games so am playing Freeciv on my android phone in little pockets of time I find. I'd like to get into freeciv properly when I have more time. It's a bit limited on the version ported to Android.