fun game, till ...

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
djconklin
Veteran

fun game, till ...

Post by djconklin »

1) You spend 10-12 hours building up a country, exploring territory, researching new techs, etc. Then while at the novice level, another country comes out with the Adam Smith wonder the same turn you are finished with yours. WT ...? [The player should finish first and then the AI's.]

2) You save the game. And when you load the saved game, each and every single one of the 29 AI's now are at "easy" vs. "novice."
JTN
Elite

Re: fun game, till ...

Post by JTN »

1) I fear that's just bad luck. AIs or humans don't get preferential ordering for building things. Players' city updates happen in a random shuffled order (for the default value of 'phasemode', this order is reshuffled every turn); and FWIW the city order for a given player is also random. (Based on reading the code.)

2) We (still) have a UI problem with setting AI levels; the state of the relevant control in clients does not always reflect the server status, particularly at the start. For instance, with the S2_5 Gtk3 client, for me the control starts up saying "Novice", but all the AI players are actually at the server default level of "Easy" (and the table of players is accurate, I think). I would guess that you've actually been playing Easy AIs all along and the UI misled you. You could confirm by typing "/list players" in the chatline. (Also, it's easy to change the levels of all players mid-game -- just type "/novice" and all the AI players will change to Novice level.)

(Which version is this, and which client if applicable?)
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

djconklin wrote:1) You spend 10-12 hours building up a country, exploring territory, researching new techs, etc. Then while at the novice level, another country comes out with the Adam Smith wonder the same turn you are finished with yours. WT ...? [The player should finish first and then the AI's.]

2) You save the game. And when you load the saved game, each and every single one of the 29 AI's now are at "easy" vs. "novice."
After an AI finished a wonder the same turn as mine a time or two, I routinely save the game before I end the turn before my wonder completes (if in a race against an AI to finish that wonder). If the AI is given the wonder on the next turn, then I close the game and reload my saved game. That has always given the wonder to me instead of to the AI.

29 AIs??!! WOW!!! I can see why you play at the novice level with so many AI opponents. I prefer the harder levels with only a few AI opponents. When I reload my saved games, the AI skill level is always the same as it was. However, there is a trap to avoid when you start a new game. If you click "Leave" (instead of Quit) so you can start a new game, the skill level selected will be the same as in your previous game, but the AIs will default to Easy (screen shot below). You can right click each AI and select the skill level you want, or change the skill level for all by selecting a different level, then selecting the skill level you want.
Easy.jpg
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Jim-11 wrote: However, there is a trap to avoid when you start a new game. If you click "Leave" (instead of Quit) so you can start a new game, the skill level selected will be the same as in your previous game, but the AIs will default to Easy (screen shot below). You can right click each AI and select the skill level you want, or change the skill level for all by selecting a different level, then selecting the skill level you want.
Once you know it it is easy, but actually it's an oddity in the UI that should be fixed later, maybe after 3.1 if somebody reports it. :lol:

Updated one month later: HRM 704730 and/or Gna! #24899 are related.