Cost to change production within type?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
drdogbot7

Cost to change production within type?

Post by drdogbot7 »

The rules state that switching a city's production from one type (unit, building, wonder) to a different type will cost half of the invested production. E.g. switching from granary (building) to trireme (unit) incurs a penalty. Makes sense to me.

Does this mean that there is no penalty for changing production within a given type? E.g. switching from Phalanx (unit) to Trireme (unit). OR is there just a lesser penalty?

I am playing web version via email, if that matters.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Cost to change production within type?

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

drdogbot7 wrote:Does this mean that there is no penalty for changing production within a given type? E.g. switching from Phalanx (unit) to Trireme (unit). OR is there just a lesser penalty?

I'm not sure how this is handled in Freeciv-web, but in the regular version, switching within a type does not incur a penalty. Apparently, the workers can take apart your almost fully assembled Battleship and turn it into guns and uniforms while retraining the crew into riflemen. Or, for that matter, use cancer research to send people to the moon. Because logic, that's why.
~ AVL
BlakeSeatrover

Post by BlakeSeatrover »

Caedo wrote:
drdogbot7 wrote:Does this mean that there is no penalty for changing production within a given type? E.g. switching from Phalanx (unit) to Trireme (unit). OR is there just a lesser penalty?

I'm not sure how this is handled in Freeciv-web, but in the regular version, switching within a type does not incur a penalty. Apparently, the workers can take apart your almost fully assembled Battleship and turn it into guns and uniforms while retraining the crew into riflemen. Or, for that matter, use cancer research to send people to the moon. Because logic, that's why.
That's hilariously broken. And no there is no penalty for switching a type.
edd

Post by edd »

Hard to call it broken when it's a rule that has worked well for a long time (also in other civ games).
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Caedo wrote:

To be fair, in real-life, you'd be building guns and training riflemen and building a battleship at the same time.