2.5 rc playtest experience

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
uncivilizedplayer

2.5 rc playtest experience

Post by uncivilizedplayer »

- gtk3 client minimap is broken, window content doesn't resize when detached
- space race: AI too agressive, will always declare war eventually (even when Worshipful alliance members), no matter how many presents you throw at them every single turn to soothe them.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: 2.5 rc playtest experience

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Well, for the space race it's logical, since by default, once your spaceship arrives, you win the game and everyone else loses, so even your allies will turn against you ─ they don't want to lose. It's been like that for as long as I can remember.
~ AVL
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

uncivilizedplayer wrote:- gtk3 client minimap is broken, window content doesn't resize when detached
This one has been already reported: bug #22836.
uncivilizedplayer

Post by uncivilizedplayer »

gtk3 client is also a fraction slower with screen updates after clicks, it's not alot, but enough to be irritating, somewhere in the 250-500ms range, city screen takes even longer to build up.

gtk2 client works well, havent seen any oddities
sometimes a cannon explosion sound goes off out of the blue with the freesounds set.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

uncivilizedplayer wrote:gtk2 client works well, havent seen any oddities
sometimes a cannon explosion sound goes off out of the blue with the freesounds set.
If I recall the last time I played with sounds corretly, this happens when
a) You research Gunpowder
b) The game encounters a (minor) problem, such as the city governor not finding a good solution for the city ("Did not find a cm solution for XY in N iterations")
~ AVL
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

A LITTLE BUG:
I get this ever since all the versions. It doesn't change anything nor it matters much, but... Can anything be done about It?
Attachments
tax-rate.png
tax-rate.png (5.4 KiB) Viewed 11123 times
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

I recently tried 2.5.1-gtk2, but I quickly found a problem. This new version does not properly save the user settings put into "More Game Options" at the start of a new game, so the next new game always starts with the default settings. Does anyone have a work around to save the "More Game Options" changes? I submitted a bug report (http://gna.org/bugs/?23886) yesterday.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Jim-11 wrote:I recently tried 2.5.1-gtk2, but I quickly found a problem. This new version does not properly save the user settings put into "More Game Options" at the start of a new game, so the next new game always starts with the default settings. Does anyone have a work around to save the "More Game Options" changes? I submitted a bug report (http://gna.org/bugs/?23886) yesterday.
At least these threads have discussed related issues in the past:
http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph ... ings#p2069
http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph ... ings#p3843
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

Thanks for the links, but discussion of .SERV files is a little over my head. The links did point me in the right direction to better identify the problem. In my Win7x64 system, Freeciv saves the changes to "More Game Options" in the file (or folder?) below:
C:/Users/Jim/AppData/Roaming/.freeciv-client-rc-2.5
but then 2.5.1 does not see those saved changes for the start of the next new game. Previous versions did see the saved changes, so my guess is that 2.5.1 has a "typo" and neglects to specify the Roaming/.Freeciv folder that 2.5.1 can see (since that is where the saved games are kept). With some difficulty, I was able to copy .freeciv-client-rc-2.5 from Roaming/ to Roaming/.Freeciv/ and now a new game does remember some of the saved game options. Strangely, however, it does not remember some of the other changes I saved, so this is not a complete answer, but at least I can now save a few of the options I want to start a game.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Jim-11 wrote:Thanks for the links, but discussion of .SERV files is a little over my head. The links did point me in the right direction to better identify the problem. In my Win7x64 system, Freeciv saves the changes to "More Game Options" in the file (or folder?) below:
C:/Users/Jim/AppData/Roaming/.freeciv-client-rc-2.5
but then 2.5.1 does not see those saved changes for the start of the next new game. Previous versions did see the saved changes, so my guess is that 2.5.1 has a "typo" and neglects to specify the Roaming/.Freeciv folder that 2.5.1 can see (since that is where the saved games are kept). With some difficulty, I was able to copy .freeciv-client-rc-2.5 from Roaming/ to Roaming/.Freeciv/ and now a new game does remember some of the saved game options. Strangely, however, it does not remember some of the other changes I saved, so this is not a complete answer, but at least I can now save a few of the options I want to start a game.
a .serv file is a text file read by the game, this particular one is named 'stubspace.serv'. The following example is for one of my test rulesets.
It can look like this(Don't include the comments):

# Server commands for Freeciv stubspace ruleset
#

rulesetdir stubspace
#This tells the game where to look for the ruleset files, '...\' is either the directory the .serv file is in or the data directory for your installation[I don't know which since it's both for me], in this case, ...\stubspace\
set specials 0
set huts 0
set size 40
set landmass 15
set alltemperate ENABLED
set generator ISLAND
set topology WRAPX|WRAPY|ISO|HEX
set barbarians DISABLED
#These are option settings that are loaded, note that they're the same as what are used to tell the server what to do minus the slash.