fifth trade routes, caravans

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
fritzeeh

fifth trade routes, caravans

Post by fritzeeh »

How to get the possibility of a fifth trade route aka replace an earlier one in the target city?
I can only enter market place and move on.

And is there some system to calculate trade routes as economical as possible for all cities?
I remember, that I once used to send those from top to bottom and east to west or so.
The Square Cow
Veteran

Re: fifth trade routes, caravans

Post by The Square Cow »

Are you maybe seeking this section from Math of Freeciv for the best way for trade routes?
http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Math_of_F ... ade_routes
fritzeeh

Post by fritzeeh »

No, I meant the spreading of all or most possible trade routes of all my cities.
rainbowrobin

Post by rainbowrobin »

fritzeeh wrote:How to get the possibility of a fifth trade route aka replace an earlier one in the target city?
I can only enter market place and move on.
Short of altering the ruleset or the code, you can't; cities can have only 4 trade routes. You *replace* one of the four trade routes by having creating a more valuable trade route. Distance, size of the cities, and being on different continents factor into the value. Trade with a foreign city doubles the value, IIRC, but then half of the benefit is going to the other player.

To maximize the new route revenues, you probably want to make trade routes as close together as possible, then replace them with longer ones. If you make the best routes first, then the shorter ones will just enter marketplace, and not get the Create Trade Route bonus.