Your fighter run out of fuel

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
ironclad

Your fighter run out of fuel

Post by ironclad »

Hi,

I just finished the tutorial mission. One think I noticed is that occasionally my flight units like fighters and bombers does not automatically go back to a city to refuel. Strange thing to me is that the message box just says "Your fighter has returned to refuel" AND "Your fighter run out of fuel" even I have only one fighter (resulting in a disbanded fighter)

As I said this does not happen always. So I am wondering why it is sometimes returned automatically and sometimes not?
uncivilizedplayer

Re: Your fighter run out of fuel

Post by uncivilizedplayer »

if you move beyond half way the movement points, a fighter can no longer return

a (stealth) fighter only has 1 normal turn of 14 movements, and it can attack as often as it wants, it has to land on a city or base within that turn.

a (stealth) bomber has a 2 part turn, it can fly a mission of 12 movements and bomb 1 time, then it can wait 1 turn in the air, before it returns to a city or airfield

The stealth bomber is the most powerful conventional unit in the game, it's a reusable cruise missile, if you build a lot of them, say 20, you must gorup select all unit s of that type and use goto, to bomb a target city, the routing will be done automatically by the path AI. You can destroy almost any town on earth thats reachable via allied towns.

stealth Fighters can be handy to clean cities with alot of weak units.
ironclad

Post by ironclad »

uncivilizedplayer wrote:if you move beyond half way the movement points, a fighter can no longer return
How is it possible to move a fighter more than half of its movement points away from a city? I use gtk3 client and cannot move my fighters that far away so that it cannot return to a city in the same turn.

Anyway considering the attached save game. If you move one of the fighters form location 30,23 (City Santa'a') to location 25,25 (take player 'christian'), the fighter returns automatically if you don't do it yourself. Load savegame again, but now put the fighter to location 26,25. That is one field more close to the City Santa'a' than the previous location 25,25. Leave the fighter there and it will run out of fuel and not return automatically. For me it looks like a bug or do I miss something?
Attachments
freeciv-T0319-Y01888-manual.sav.bz2
(22.7 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
mir3x
Veteran

Post by mir3x »

U have to use num pad to move figter.

It seems its a bug what u described.

Btw. buy airports in cities where u hold figters for fast healing.
ironclad

Post by ironclad »

mir3x wrote:U have to use num pad to move figter.
ok, thanks. I was only using mouse device and this did not let you move units to far away.
mir3x wrote: It seems its a bug what u described.
I have opened a bug report for this.
https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?25294