Freights?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
mfans

Freights?

Post by mfans »

I just found that the AIs always built a lot of freights, so it can accelerate the wonder building. Should I also build a lot of freights to rush the buildings? I think the number of freights should be limited.
The Square Cow
Veteran

Re: Freights?

Post by The Square Cow »

If you want to beat the AI to that wonder, then you may need to build caravans to get your entire nation's productive ability involved. (Buying the wonder also works and I think it would be cheaper than buying the caravans to build it from looking at the Math of Freeciv)

The other use for Freights and Caravans is to build trade routes which can be very useful for increasing your trade output (and thus science and tax output).
mfans

Post by mfans »

The Square Cow wrote:If you want to beat the AI to that wonder, then you may need to build caravans to get your entire nation's productive ability involved. (Buying the wonder also works and I think it would be cheaper than buying the caravans to build it from looking at the Math of Freeciv)

The other use for Freights and Caravans is to build trade routes which can be very useful for increasing your trade output (and thus science and tax output).
Thanks, now I know more about the game. In another hand, I should say the Chinese translation is not very correct or easy to understand, thanks again.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I could not find a better place for my questions other than here.
Way long ago, I read about "automatic" Trade Routes. I didn't understand the comments or suggestions, But is it possible? Specially in the civ2civ3 ruleset.
(Hope I'm making sense.)
rainbowrobin

Post by rainbowrobin »

Math of Freeciv link: ooooh. I'd wondered about unit buy costs, had usually seemed between 3-4x, except for expensive units like Marines or Battleships.
mfans wrote:I just found that the AIs always built a lot of freights, so it can accelerate the wonder building. Should I also build a lot of freights to rush the buildings? I think the number of freights should be limited.
Yes, you should, it's basic strategy and a benefit of the Trade technology.

For a while I'd been using Coinage and trying to buy Wonders with cash. 50 shields is 50 coins which buys 12.5 shields of Wonder; 50 shields of Caravan gives you 50 shields of Wonder. So Caravans are 4x more effective. My game improved a lot from that.

They're also more valuable just for money production; it's fairly easy to get 50 gold from making a Trade Route or even just going to market, and you also get 50 bulbs of Science. Twice as effective as Coinage. Big cities across water can easily see 200 gold (and 200 bulbs) from a Caravan arrival. Plus the ongoing trade benefits of the Trade Route itself.