ranking

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
mfans

ranking

Post by mfans »

The game is great and I am the first time to it, it should be said that I got something about the game principle. I have a stupid question, is it possible to rank every item in the top 5. I play with 19 novice AIs and report siad a lot items in rank 15 to 20, How to change these completely.
ifaesfu

Re: ranking

Post by ifaesfu »

Are you talking about F7 demographic reports? If so, you can only see your own rank and those who are the best and you have an embassy with.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Quick plausibilty check, the normal map size for 1+4 players (one human, four AIs) is 4 (=4000), and 5 (=5000) is already too much. For 1+19 you would need map size 18 (=18000=20x900) to get a similar space per player. And you need four times of the normal huts (1+19=20=5x4), e.g., 200 huts instead of only 50 huts for a similar number of huts per player.

"Novice" does not really help, they are still stronger than human players for about 150 turns, and "Normal" is still weaker than human players after about 200 turns. Years ago, in an epic game, a "weaker" AI showed me that having more howitzers is more important than being a smartass. :oops:
rainbowrobin

Post by rainbowrobin »

mfans wrote:The game is great and I am the first time to it, it should be said that I got something about the game principle. I have a stupid question, is it possible to rank every item in the top 5. I play with 19 novice AIs and report siad a lot items in rank 15 to 20, How to change these completely.
Yes, I often end up #1 in everything except maybe production. Not in the early game, though, unless I cheat my start. AIs are more aggressive in fast growth (they don't mind losing some cities to pirates) and in early tech development (I think they 'cheat', being able to have higher research levels.)

Hard to give completely general tips, but I tend to use island maps, one player per 'continent', and to avoid fighting as much as possible. Grow fast, develop, accept limits when you hit them, develop more. AIs suck at highly intensive development and big cities.