AI Sucks Against Barbarians

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
cwf1986

AI Sucks Against Barbarians

Post by cwf1986 »

Is there a way to make the AI not die out to barbarians? Even when AI is set to hard, the barbarians do more taking the AI out than I do and the barbarians end up with half the world in cities. It also seems like the AI can't keep their people happy. Either that or the barbarians are taking the AI's capitals because there's always a few AI civil wars in my games which makes it way to easy for me to surpass them.

While barbarians are somewhat of a challenge in the very beginning of the game and add something there, by the industrial age all they do is build cannons which are easily picked off because the barbarians are strategically retarded!

Has anyone had any successful solutions to these issues?

If no one knows how to make the AI smarter, how do you turn off barbarians?
cazfi
Elite

Re: AI Sucks Against Barbarians

Post by cazfi »

cwf1986 wrote:If no one knows how to make the AI smarter, how do you turn off barbarians?
"/set barbarians DISABLED" (server console / client chatline)

Fot other values of the "barbarians" setting try "/explain barbarians"
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

cwf1986 wrote:Even when AI is set to hard, the barbarians do more taking the AI out than I do and the barbarians end up with half the world in cities. It also seems like the AI can't keep their people happy.
What version of Freeciv are you seeing this with? And what ruleset?
cwf1986

Post by cwf1986 »

^

2.5.99-dev

I just go to play.freeciv.org, then pick single player, then put in my user handle and click customize and either load a save game or make a new one after adjusting some of the settings.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Oh, this was about freeciv-web version. Still, you can control the server via the chatline, so you should be able to "/set barbarians DISABLED"

I've seen the very poor performance of the AI against barbarians in late development versions of freeciv, and freeciv-web always follows almost the latest development version.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

The problem is not only against barbarians, but AI is not building defenses against anybody. As a temporary workaround I've reverted the changes that introduced this bug from freeciv-web codebase. I expect Andreas to take that update to play.freeciv.org soon.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

https://play.freeciv.org has been updated with this fix now!
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

OMG! My research! ALL GONE! :shock:

All those years of academy training, wasted! :cry:

-IZY.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I'm sorry that your savegame got broken. In the current development method, I try to keep Freeciv-web up to date with the Freeciv C server subversion trunk. This is so that improving Freeciv-web based on the latest Freeciv developments will be possible given the limited development resources the project has got. The savegame format got changed in the Freeciv subversion trunk, and that broke savegames in Freeciv-web. Sorry.
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

AndreasR wrote:I'm sorry that your savegame got broken. In the current development method, I try to keep Freeciv-web up to date with the Freeciv C server subversion trunk. This is so that improving Freeciv-web based on the latest Freeciv developments will be possible given the limited development resources the project has got. The savegame format got changed in the Freeciv subversion trunk, and that broke savegames in Freeciv-web. Sorry.
Hi Andreas,

That's ok. I understand. I was just kidding around, being melodramatic. ;)

Thanks for all you do. :)

-IZY.