People are joining my game

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
grimfrid

People are joining my game

Post by grimfrid »

Hi, what can I do to prevent other people from joining my game when I play singleplayer online?
cazfi
Elite

Re: People are joining my game

Post by cazfi »

My first thought was "Why are you playing online, if you want to be the only player?", but maybe by "online" you mean freeciv-web?
grimfrid

Post by grimfrid »

I found the game on play.freeciv.org and just selected the singleplayer link. Not sure how to play the game offline.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Yes, that's freeciv-web version (one you play with your internet browser, not a standalone program). AndreasR is the one who knows everything about freeciv-web.
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

grimfrid wrote:Not sure how to play the game offline.
Do a web search for freeciv download. Freeciv-2.4.2-win32-gtk2-setup.exe is the installer for the latest version of Freeciv on a Windows computer. With a different system, you will need to choose a different installer. Install on your computer, and play as long as you like. :D
grimfrid

Post by grimfrid »

Great, thanks a lot :)
Miss the old civ games, so was happy to find this game. Will search for the downloads later today.
:)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Some other people are repackaging freeciv, but I recommend getting official package from www.freeciv.org -> sourceforge.
grimfrid

Post by grimfrid »

Wow, thanks! Will check it out :)
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

For people to have joined your Freeciv-web single player game, it could have happened in two ways:

1. Someone joined your game as an observer, clicked the Nations dialog, and clicked the "Play as this nation" button. I thought it would be fun for people to be able to join other people's games. How do you suggest this be improved?

2. The other case is could be a Metaserver bug, where the Freeciv C server is out of sync with the Freeciv-web metaserver. The number of human players in the Freeciv C server is reported to the Freeciv-web metaserver,
but the Metaserver is only updated for certain event and at regular time intervals. Since the number of human players for each server in the metaserver is used to find a new un-used server for new players, if the number reported
in the metaserver for your server is 0, but should have been 1, then someone could join your server. I'll try to fix this.