Can I turn off city flags?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
Jim-11

Can I turn off city flags?

Post by Jim-11 »

Is there a way to turn off the flags behind each city? The flag blocks half a tile and makes it difficult to see if the tile has been improved. Thanks!
mfans

Re: Can I turn off city flags?

Post by mfans »

I think it is at "View ", you change the order "city name".

I use Chinese edition, this is what I can find.
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

谢谢 (I hope that translates to "Thank you" :) ) I tried most of the selections available in View and Options, but the only way I have found to not display the flag behind the city is to turn off the city display. I want to keep the city display on, but turn off the flag. Thanks!
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I find those city flags a bit big as, you said, they hide what's hiding behind them.
Maybe there's a way to tweak the flags and flags-large specs, I tried but failed.

EDITED next day :
I went to BOTH the flags.spec AND flags-large.spec and changed them into "flags/<country>_old-shield-large" and lo! City flags showed the shield.
Not great but at least it's better. Remember that the flags show elsewhere than the view window (F1)
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

Thanks for the followup. I didn't see your edit until today. I would like to try your change, but I do not know how to access or change a ".SPEC" file. :(

The best solution for me would be to turn city flags off. I can easily identify the nation the city is located in by the color of its boundary, so no need for flags too.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:Maybe there's a way to tweak the flags and flags-large specs, I tried but failed.
Just one of the flags and flags-large is in use. Try listing "flags" instead of "flags-large" in the filelist of .tilespec and you should get the smaller flags.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

good old Cazfi !
That trick works just as well.

Jim-11 : It's very easy, even for me.
Just open the data folder and choose the tileset that concerns you with any text editor.
find "misc/flags-large.spec" and change it to "misc/flags.spec" as Cazfi said and Presto. A little flag shows and you can see anything behind the city.
I don't think that leaving that line empty is a good idea, as the flag shows elsewhere like in the nations tab and elsewhere.
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

After wasting a lot of time (that I could have been wasting playing the game :D ), I found a solution that works OK for me. I opened ...\data\flags\usa-large.png into a graphics edit program (Irfanview). Then I resized the image from 44X30 to 4X3 pixels, and saved the new tiny image back into the same file name. Now when I open Freeciv, the USA city flags are almost invisible because they are so small. Other nations still have large city flags, but that is not a problem for me because I play only the short game http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=192 so I don't need to see the tiles behind enemy cities.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

What a waste of time !
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

I should add a note of thanks to Arbogast and cazfi for pointing me in the right direction. I also found that I can easily make the USA city flag smaller by
(1) rename usa-large.png to xusa-large.png (so I can restore it later if desired);
(2) make a copy of usa.png and rename the copy to usa-large.png to get a smaller flag; or
(3) make a copy of usa-shield-large.png and rename the copy to usa-large.png to transform the city flag into a shield that is smaller than the small flag.

This easy process takes just seconds to do, but only after spending days searching for the solution!