Experimental Frustrations

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
Arbogast
Elite

Experimental Frustrations

Post by Arbogast »

I fool a lot with the Experimental Ruleset-which I really like-, But, I get these unreal messages about 'you canot attack here' even if if I have control of all the tiles around the city.
Enemies creep up on me and with a lot of defending units, I can't attack or defend? WHY?
Attachments
No-win.jpg
cazfi
Elite

Re: Experimental Frustrations

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:I fool a lot with the Experimental Ruleset-which I really like-, But, I get these unreal messages about 'you canot attack here' even if if I have control of all the tiles around the city.
Enemies creep up on me and with a lot of defending units, I can't attack or defend? WHY?
What's the exact message. I tried to search S2_4 sources for "cannot attack" to see in which situation such an message would be sent, but didn't find anything relevant. All the strings were more detailed; "Cannot attack from sea", "Cannot attack unless you declare war first."
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

No idea if it's the OP's problem, but the message "You can't attack there." (note can't, not cannot) does exist.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

JTN wrote:No idea if it's the OP's problem, but the message "You can't attack there." (note can't, not cannot) does exist.
Which can result from any of the four reasons checked by can_unit_attack_unit_at_tile()

1. Attacker is not an military unit
2. Target is unreachable (such as Bomber that can be attacked by Fighters only)
3. Tile unit is attacking from is not native tile (Exceptions include Marines that can attack directly from Transport on Ocean tile)
4. The tile being attacked is not native tile (Most ships can do shore bombardment - attack land tile)

I suspect number 4. Experimental ruleset "Big Land" units cannot attack non-native tiles, and many terrains are not native to them.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Created ticket about that one: patch #4445
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Sheesh! Thanks for to quick answers.
I confirm cazfi's #4. And since 'national borders' are disabled There's no way of knowing what's what.
Anyway, as things stand out, I'm chucking 'Experimental', too bad as a lot of things could be implemented into the 'Default-x' ruleset. For instance, the expanding territory is a boom to any ruleset. I also like the plague thing... (more about that later... I think) ;)