Diplomacy in Freeciv 2.3.4

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
Orlok

Diplomacy in Freeciv 2.3.4

Post by Orlok »

How would one propose a cease-fire in Freeciv 2.3.4? I can open a meeting window (Menu Diplomacy -> Meet). But I do not see how you can propose anything, from cease-fire, to share vision, and so on.
JTN
Elite

Re: Diplomacy in Freeciv 2.3.4

Post by JTN »

On the diplomacy tab, under each leader name (you and them) you should see an "Add Clause..." button. Clicking on the button under your leader name should bring up a menu with options;
  • Maps >
  • Advances >
  • Cities >
  • Give shared vision
  • Give embassy
  • Pacts > (under which you should see Peace, etc)
Orlok

Post by Orlok »

JTN wrote:On the diplomacy tab, under each leader name (you and them) you should see an "Add Clause..." button.
Sorry. I can't find the button. See my window.
http://postimg.org/image/z8u7pszr1/
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

The "Add Clause"-button is at the meeting screen, not the nations screen.
~ AVL
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Orlok wrote:Sorry. I can't find the button. See my window.
http://postimg.org/image/z8u7pszr1/
You're missing some buttons -- along the bottom of that window you should have "Diplomacy" / "Intelligence" / "Display" / "AI".

Are you using Ubuntu? This is a known problem on some versions and configurations of Ubuntu, notably 13.10 with Unity -- it steals our menu buttons -- I think this must be what's happened to you, as you can see them in the mess at the top (technical details in LP#1242937).
Orlok wrote:I can open a meeting window (Menu Diplomacy -> Meet).
So you found the Diplomacy menu misplaced at the top -- did that successfully open the diplomacy dialog for that player?
Even if it did, I think Ubuntu would eat the "Add Clause..." buttons (if you're lucky, adding them to the mess at the top).

Anyway, the workaround for the known issue which restores the UI to how it was intended is to launch the Freeciv client from the command-line like this:

Code: Select all

UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= freeciv-gtk2
(note the space after the equals sign)

(While I'm here, Freeciv under Ubuntu 13.04 has a tendency to crash for different but related reasons -- LP#1208625. The workaround is the same.)
Orlok

Post by Orlok »

JTN wrote:Anyway, the workaround for the known issue which restores the UI to how it was intended is to launch the Freeciv client from the command-line like this:

Code: Select all

UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= freeciv-gtk2
(note the space after the equals sign)

(While I'm here, Freeciv under Ubuntu 13.04 has a tendency to crash for different but related reasons -- LP#1208625. The workaround is the same.)
Yes. That did it. Save current game, close it, open a terminal, and paste said command line in it. I have (better?) control over mu diplomacy.

I am sooooo glad with the graphic improvements in Ubuntu (NOT!). A system that regularly crashes, and now buttons who take a position that was never intended. :twisted:
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Orlok wrote:I am sooooo glad with the graphic improvements in Ubuntu (NOT!). A system that regularly crashes, and now buttons who take a position that was never intended. :twisted:
The menu-stealing saga has been going on for some years now (see also LP#743265); it's been quite vexing.

From the next version of Ubuntu (14.04), they have blacklisted Freeciv in their menu-stealing code, so hopefully this should stop recurring.