Tweaking combat options

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
Lagan

Tweaking combat options

Post by Lagan »

Hello, I'm sure this has happened to someone before, but I can't find information on how to solve this issue.

I'm starting a new local game against the AI, I'm technologically superior to them and I find this situation often.

I have n units (n ranging from 3 to 5) of archers,catapults, musketeers and legion in one tile of terrain and out of the blue comes an enemy warrior and kills all of them in combat.

How can this be even possible? I would understand that the warrior would have killed the archers or the catapult. But 5 units losing against 1 is driving me mad (by making impossible for me to benefit from my number and technology advantages).

Is there any (easy) way to change the combat ruleset?
I mean, if I have 5 units with defense level 2 against 1 enemy unit with attack level 1 my chances of wining should be 10 to 1 and even if I lose 4 out of the initial 5 should remain.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Tweaking combat options

Post by cazfi »

The default (similar to civ/2) killstack rule is for forcing one to arrange units in formations rather than one big stack. Server option 'killstack' can be used to change to the mode where only the defending unit itself (not other units it's defending/protecting) are killed. One can change it on server directly (if run separately), from client chatline "/set killstack disable", or from "More Game Options" -> "Military" -> "Do all units in tile die with defender" in client when starting a game.
Lagan

Post by Lagan »

Sorry but I don't find that option under More game Options-> Military.

I'm using v2.4.0, gui-gtk-2.0 client
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Sorry, I forgot that it was turned into server option recently (will be in 2.5). In 2.4 it's still defined in ruleset. Find "killstack" from game.ruleset.
Lagan

Post by Lagan »

Thanks cazfi