First winning, than loosing the lead?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
Orlok

First winning, than loosing the lead?

Post by Orlok »

Hi,

Each time I play the game I come a bit further. It seems all games I play are AI's against me. I succeed to get an edge for a while, and then I got quagmired. The AI's pass me in progress.

At first I had a strong expansionistic strategy. I succeed in getting Gunpowder and Steam Engine first. Then the AI's gang up on me, and I start to loose the race. They start to pick out my land units with their sea units (which is a smart move), pound my cities with and without Coastal Defence to dust. I start to get an reactive strategy. At the moment the AI's all have Battleships, and I'm ready to throw in the towel.

What are my options? Keep on attacking cities? What is smart in that case?

Rommel's apprentice
cazfi
Elite

Re: First winning, than loosing the lead?

Post by cazfi »

Depending on your current strategy, you may consider some of these changes:

- Do not be too expansionist in the beginning, but invest to growing your cities too. In early game cities far away from your capital are rather useless due to corruption. Better to have central cities, where corruption is lower, highly productive (in terms of research too)
- If AI gets tech you don't have, use diplomats to steal it. You can even plan your reseach so that you don't invest bulbs to tech you think you can steal later, but to something else
- Make sure you have max traderoutes from your bigger cities, to cities on another island (x2 output), and depending on you relations to other players, to cities of another player (x2)
Sarilho1

Re: First winning, than loosing the lead?

Post by Sarilho1 »

cazfi wrote:Depending on your current strategy, you may consider some of these changes:

- Do not be too expansionist in the beginning, but invest to growing your cities too. In early game cities far away from your capital are rather useless due to corruption. Better to have central cities, where corruption is lower, highly productive (in terms of research too)
- If AI gets tech you don't have, use diplomats to steal it. You can even plan your reseach so that you don't invest bulbs to tech you think you can steal later, but to something else
- Make sure you have max traderoutes from your bigger cities, to cities on another island (x2 output), and depending on you relations to other players, to cities of another player (x2)
I didn't know that traderoutes had its effect double when establish with other islands or foreign cities. If we establish with another player city in another continent the effect is x4? Is it cumulative?