AI only matches?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
PlaidBaron

AI only matches?

Post by PlaidBaron »

Hello. I was wondering if it was somehow possible to set up AI only matches and simply observe the outcome as a bit of an experiment. I've looked around the web for an answer but it seems like nobody has tried doing this. I've tried toggling AI mode on but it doesn't seem to do anything, as I'm still in control. Is it even possible? I'm using the Ubuntu version of the game. Thanks!
sveinung
Elite

Re: AI only matches?

Post by sveinung »

It is possible. Set minplayers to 0. (So 0 human players are OK) Set a timeout. (So turns will end) Start the game using the start command.

Example:

Code: Select all

/set minplayers 0
/set timeout 30
/start
PlaidBaron

Post by PlaidBaron »

Got it, thanks! But is there any way to switch between observing different nations?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it. Thanks!
Sarilho1

Post by Sarilho1 »

Great, I was asking the same thing for a long time.
SusuKacangSoya

Post by SusuKacangSoya »

PlaidBaron wrote:Edit: Nevermind, I got it. Thanks!
Semi-joke: Screw you for not posting how you did it ._. sniff

-----

Sorry for necropost, but just wanted to inform others like me; you can switch between players by entering Editing Mode, and selecting a nation from the drop-down list next to the Property Editor button (rightmost button in the toolbar that appears). Global Observer is on there as well.

The game still runs when you're in Editing Mode, and you can turn Editing Mode off and continue observing the nation you picked.

This is useful when you started an AI game from 'Start a Local Game, as Leave-ing will shut down the server.

You can actually access the lobby by saving the game (autosave helps at that), Leave-ing, and then loading the game. It won't start the game immediately; you can then select another nation and click the 'Observe' button. But this Editing-Mode exploit is quicker.
edd

Post by edd »

You can use `/obs` in the chat line to observe everything and `/obs name` to observe a specific player!
BlakeSeatrover

Post by BlakeSeatrover »

' /obs ' has been incredibly helpful to play with. Thanks!