no nukes please

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
AkwatiKata
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:34 pm

no nukes please

Postby AkwatiKata » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:41 pm

Can I prevent nukes from being built?
In Civ 2 I used to edit the save file and forbid the Manhattan Project or even just the Nuclear Missile after I had built one just to intimidate. I can't be bothered with the whole nuclear winter and rather prevent it.

btw: I assume this is the right section to ask this...

User avatar
JTN
Elite
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:15 am

Re: no nukes please

Postby JTN » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:48 pm

If you are able to edit the ruleset files (e.g. classic/effects.ruleset), you can comment out this bit:

Code: Select all

[effect_manhattan_project]
type    = "Enable_Nuke"
value   = 1
reqs    =
    { "type", "name", "range", "survives"
      "Building", "Manhattan Project", "World", TRUE
    }


You could also achieve this without editing rulesets by save file hacking in Freeciv too. In the [players] section of the save file, look for "destroyed_wonders"; if you set the correct bit in that (which depends on the ruleset), no-one will be able to build the Manhattan Project, hence no nukes.

AkwatiKata wrote:btw: I assume this is the right section to ask this...

Are you seeing AI players building nukes in single-player games, out of interest? (If they don't, you could just not build them yourself ;))

I have only ever once seen the AI even start building a nuke (by looking at savefiles), and they didn't finish it.

AkwatiKata
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: no nukes please

Postby AkwatiKata » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:39 pm

Thanks JTN. I'll try that if I see the AI builds nukes. I've only just started playing Freeciv and this is the first time I've come far enough to build the Manhattan Project, so I have no idea what the AI will do. I am also using this session to see how the AI behaves. When I play Civ 2 on Windows 10, somehow the AI pathfinding is completely screwed up and it just moves its units back and forth most of the time and it can't seem to do anything else. But I still wanted that old school Civ 2 vibe, so now I am trying Freeciv

User avatar
Hampton
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:22 pm

Re: no nukes please

Postby Hampton » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:52 pm

If you're playing on freeciv-web, then there should be a way to disable the nuclear winter feature without disabling nuclear weapons if that's your main problem. I don't know about the downloaded game though.

Try /show, /show situational, and /show rare. The option to disable nuclear winter should be somewhere in those three lists.
Last edited by Hampton on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
VladimirSlavik
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:27 am

Re: no nukes please

Postby VladimirSlavik » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:50 am

If you're playing singleplayer only, you can edit savegames to disable nuclear winter and global warming.

Civothy
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:07 am

Re: no nukes please

Postby Civothy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Hampton wrote:If you're playing on freeciv-web, then there should be a way to disable the nuclear winter feature without disabling nuclear weapons if that's your main problem. I don't know about the downloaded game though.

Try /show, /show situational, and /show rare. The option to disable nuclear winter should be somewhere in those three lists.


I was just looking, and the option is called nuclearwinter. You should be able to turn nuclear winter off by typing:

/set nuclearwinter disabled

in a chat line. I think this is one of those options that can be toggled on and off during a game, so you could turn nuclear winter back on any time you want.
Playing Freeciv-web on a Mac running OS X 10.12.3 via Safari 10.0.3

poleslav
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:49 pm

Re: no nukes please

Postby poleslav » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:15 pm

Civothy wrote:I was just looking, and the option is called nuclearwinter. You should be able to turn nuclear winter off by typing:

/set nuclearwinter disabled

in a chat line. I think this is one of those options that can be toggled on and off during a game, so you could turn nuclear winter back on any time you want.

Got it thanks. Can't believe I've played all this time without knowing it.