peaceful starting era? early alternative to enable_nuke?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
yuh

peaceful starting era? early alternative to enable_nuke?

Post by yuh »

hi,

i like a long peaceful era in the begining of the game. is there a way to restrict the building of aggressive units to some wonder the way nukes are only available when Manhattan Project has been built by one nation? i don't care too much about nukes, anyway, so as a workaround i just could define all of the aggressive units being "nukes". i tend to see Adam Smith's Trading Co. being a good candidate for original sin and fall of man, so making it enable_nuke, then. but maybe there's a more direct way to achieve what i intend to do?
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Re: peaceful starting era? early alternative to enable_nuke?

Post by Dino the Dinosore »

Since you're going to have to do a custom ruleset anyway, you might as well make a new wonder that enables the Enable_Nuke effect, say "War College", and use that instead of Adam's. Or just rename "Manhattan Project" to "War College" and change its tech requirements. The Enable_Nuke effect workaround may be the only way to do what you want (as of 3.0). What you really want is a requirement vector for individual units in units.ruleset, like

Code: Select all

[unit_cavalry]
name          = _("Cavalry")
class         = "Land"
reqs = {
	"type",	"name",			"range",	"survives"
	"Building","War College","World",	TRUE
	"Tech",	 "Tactics", 	"Player",	TRUE
	}
But currently the only requirements you can do for units are

tech_req = required advance, names from techs.ruleset
impr_req = required city improvement, names from buildings.ruleset

Also, the AI may not deal with this very well and it may become very easy to win all the time.
yuh

Post by yuh »

thanks for your answer. probably you're right and winning would be too easy ...
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

yuh wrote:hi,

i like a long peaceful era in the begining of the game. is there a way to restrict the building of aggressive units to some wonder the way nukes are only available when Manhattan Project has been built by one nation? i don't care too much about nukes, anyway, so as a workaround i just could define all of the aggressive units being "nukes". i tend to see Adam Smith's Trading Co. being a good candidate for original sin and fall of man, so making it enable_nuke, then. but maybe there's a more direct way to achieve what i intend to do?
You can simply delay or completely remove early units. For delaying, go into units.ruleset and change the tech requirements for units.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
yuh

Post by yuh »

Corbeau wrote: You can simply delay or completely remove early units. For delaying, go into units.ruleset and change the tech requirements for units.
yes, i could do so. but that would be even more unfair: whoever gets to any of that required techs first could easily take several cities of neighbouring nations. enable_nuke would be fairer, because every nation could start building aggressive units the same turn.

i once tested a move_rate of zero for warriors, making them only defensive, but that was somehow disappointing, though i can't remember why. i guess, ai woud not want to build any of them ...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

yuh wrote:yes, i could do so. but that would be even more unfair: whoever gets to any of that required techs first could easily take several cities of neighbouring nations. enable_nuke would be fairer, because every nation could start building aggressive units the same turn.
What if you allow building the units in advance (so that everyone would have them by the time you allow aggression) but disallow Attacking with them - that's action enabler controlled in 3.0 already.