Advice on Setting Up a 7 player Family Game

Join us, meet players from all around the world, challenge the strongest top players, practice and be one of them!
jsabathne

Advice on Setting Up a 7 player Family Game

Post by jsabathne »

HI All- I am new to FreeCiv. With COVID-19 my family is looking for a game we can play online as we 'shelter in place'. (My apologies for asking questions which may be in the Forum. I did look first...)
My questions are for a multiplayer game for 7 players, and it is about the various Game Set-Up options.
1- How long should our 'Timeouts' be? (We will not be playing 'live' but instead checking in once a day to complete a turn. (This will be slooow.)
2- What map size do you suggest for a 7 player game? How many thousands of tiles?
3- What tech level do I enter if we want to start at the beginning of time?
4- What is the suggestion re Landmass? (My lean is to 1/3rd land to 2/3rds water. Is it better to go with more land?)
5- What do I enter for 'amount of special resource squares? (What is an 'average' amount.)
6- In the normal minimum distance 4 tiles? Or what is the normal Min distance?
7- What should I enter for 'end turn'?
8- What are differences in the map settings? (Fully random vrs Psuedo Fractal hieght vrs Fracture Map)
Thanks in advance. Sorry I'm such a noob.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Advice on Setting Up a 7 player Family Game

Post by Corbeau »

Hello. A lot of answers depend on what kind of game you want. What part of the family? Are kids involved? Is it a friendly or a competitive game?

1- How long should our 'Timeouts' be? (We will not be playing 'live' but instead checking in once a day to complete a turn. (This will be slooow.)

If you will be checking once a day, then timeout should be 86400 (seconds = 24 hours)

2- What map size do you suggest for a 7 player game? How many thousands of tiles?

Civ 1 had 80x50 map for 7 nations, so maybe start with that.

3- What tech level do I enter if we want to start at the beginning of time?

Leave the default. Probably 0.

4- What is the suggestion re Landmass? (My lean is to 1/3rd land to 2/3rds water. Is it better to go with more land?)

Again, depends on what kind of game you want.

5- What do I enter for 'amount of special resource squares? (What is an 'average' amount.)

If you're not sure, leave the default.

6- In the normal minimum distance 4 tiles? Or what is the normal Min distance?

Comercial civs had 1 and I prefer this because I feel everything else is artificial limiting. But, again, depends...

7- What should I enter for 'end turn'?

See above.

8- What are differences in the map settings? (Fully random vrs Psuedo Fractal hieght vrs Fracture Map)

If you hover the mouse above those options, you will get a short description for each of them.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...