How to run a multiplayer server?

Join us, meet players from all around the world, challenge the strongest top players, practice and be one of them!
NateDogPack12

Re: How to run a multiplayer server?

Post by NateDogPack12 »

Louis, thank you for the most helpful advice I've received as of yet. Our friends keep getting connection errors when they try to join. I cannot quote them verbatim, but something along the lines of, "Failed to connect because the host server took too long to respond or..." something like that. We are civ veterans who happened upon FreeCiv and we are really trying to make this work.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Just getting other people to connect to your public IP is unlikely to work if you're on a normal ISP, because of NAT and firewalls (or at least this is the problem that people usually seem to have). The FAQ talks about this a bit more, but doesn't give a step-by-step guide as it depends on your setup and equipment.

I think you are likely to have to muck around in your router's configuration to forward the Freeciv port from the outside world to the machine running the server.
NateDogPack12

Post by NateDogPack12 »

"Safely bypassing NAT and firewalls is beyond the scope of this FAQ."

Well, it's a shame that this has to be so complicated. What a waste of time and effort. I have given up. Farewell and happy civing.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

The wiki wrote:Safely bypassing NAT and firewalls is beyond the scope of this FAQ.
That's because it depends on the Internet box you have, and there are hundreds of models out there.
NateDogPack12 wrote:Well, it's a shame that this has to be so complicated. What a waste of time and effort.
It's complicated because running a server makes your computer more vulnerable to attacks. Your ISP protects you by forbidding connexions from the outer world. That's why your friends couldn't connect to your server. Most boxes allow to bypass this protection, but the procedure to setup the bypass depends on the box model.

We could maybe help if you told us the model of you Internet box. It's usually written somewhere on the box itself and in the configuration interface.

Louis