Establish Multiplayer Game on Local Network (LAN)

Join us, meet players from all around the world, challenge the strongest top players, practice and be one of them!
Steve R.

Establish Multiplayer Game on Local Network (LAN)

Post by Steve R. »

Apparently I am confused concerning the "appropriate" method of setting-up a multiplayer game on my local network (LAN). I just installed version 2.5.6 and I am using Ubuntu 16.04.

When I boot freeciv (in the graphic mode), I receive the message:
Starting local server...
Welcome to the Freeciv version 2.5.6 Server running at Cygnus port 5557.
You are logged in as 'stephen' connected to Stephen.
Established control over the server. You have command access level 'hack'.
I assumed that, on my other computer, to connect to this game that I would enter "Cygnus" and port "5557". For the login, I was unclear what I should enter. I tried "stephen". All that I received was the message: "connection refused".

In trouble shooting this issue, I did find a post that referenced the terminal command "freeciv-server". Executing that terminal command did allow me to set-up (with some difficulty) a multiplayer game on my LAN.

So is the terminal command "freeciv-server" the appropriate method of implementing a multiplayer game?
Or is there a method of entering the correct information on the graphical user interface when you start-up the game?

PS: What does the work 'hack' mean?
louis94
Hardened

Re: Establish Multiplayer Game on Local Network (LAN)

Post by louis94 »

Hello,
Steve R. wrote:So is the terminal command "freeciv-server" the appropriate method of implementing a multiplayer game?
Yes (for LAN games). The client starts a server too, but you can't connect to it from another computer.
Steve R. wrote:What does the work 'hack' mean?
Command level "hack" means having full control over the server. Clients connected from remote computers have less privileges.

Louis
Steve R.

Post by Steve R. »

louis94 wrote:
Steve R. wrote:So is the terminal command "freeciv-server" the appropriate method of implementing a multiplayer game?
Yes (for LAN games). The client starts a server too, but you can't connect to it from another computer.
Louis
Thanks. I was begging to recognize that might be the situation.
Steve R.

Post by Steve R. »

It's been a while since I last played a multiplayer game of our local LAN. Of curse, I forgot everything!

Just to write down, again, for anyone searching.

Start the server from the terminal by typing in:

Code: Select all

freeciv-server
To reload a multiplayer game. At the terminal type:

Code: Select all

load <filename>
Sources:
How to save a multi-player game?

Server commands