asynchronous multiplayer

Join us, meet players from all around the world, challenge the strongest top players, practice and be one of them!
SHC

asynchronous multiplayer

Post by SHC »

Our attempt:
I and my brother had tried to use the desktop freeciv2.5 2.5 to join a meta server. Things were going great and we had some fun. However, when both of us finally stopped and made our final moves, the server restarted the game after about 24 hours. All progress was lost and our empires joined to be part of the void.

It would be really nice if we had a way to save our multiplayer games and break it over the course of several days. I was also wondering if you can have asynchronous multiplayer on freeciv. The type of multiplayer that allows me to play a game with someone else without playing at the same time.

The question is, is there a way to save multiplayer conveniently and if so, can the turns be asynchronous?

Edit: The game I and my brother played did not end. It was about mid game after I researched republic. We were hoping it would have remained on the server until we can come back to it another day. Unfortunately, it did not.
cazfi
Elite

Re: asynchronous multiplayer

Post by cazfi »

Who run the server you were using? The freeciv project runs only the metaserver that allows servers to list themselves for clients to join.

Can you run the server yourself? That would give you total control over it + maybe you don't want your games reported to metaserver at all for any third party to join. The only reason I can see that would not be possible for you is if some firewall outside your control prevents the other from connecting the server run by the other.
SHC

Post by SHC »

The server that deleted our game after a day was freeciv.nmte.ch. Since the game did not initially restart when I and my brother both quite and joined back into a game, I thought it would allow for asynchronous multiplayer since you can chance the turn time to 100 days. We did a test run on gs.pardus.at and it did the same thing as the first server.

I am not sure what I need to do and I am honestly not that experience with coding aspect of this game. I am also not sure how to set up an active server and I can't really have a computer running 24/7 considering that I need to use this laptop for other reasons. Since this game does not support play by email, I am not sure how to set up a game where I and my brother can play on and off at different times. I was really hoping that freeciv can be played like warnet (not sure if I am allowed to put links for other games, but it ends with .ee). This game allows people to play without actually being on simultaneously.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

SHC wrote:I am also not sure how to set up an active server and I can't really have a computer running 24/7
Does the server need to be accessible 24/7?

What OS you are using? (Windows/Linux/MacOSX)
SHC

Post by SHC »

cazfi wrote:
SHC wrote:I am also not sure how to set up an active server and I can't really have a computer running 24/7
Does the server need to be accessible 24/7?

What OS you are using? (Windows/Linux/MacOSX)
I am personally using windows 8.1. My brother is using window 7. It does not need to be accessible 24/7 I guess. We can arrange a time to play it. It would just be a lot better if we could simply play our turns when we feel like it. I was hoping there was a server set up that allows this. The only other solution I can think of is somehow figuring out how to pbem with civ 2. Not the best option, but workable if I can make that work. Prefer using freeciv of course.
ifaesfu

Post by ifaesfu »

Davide's servers let you save multiplayer games, but other servers can't do it.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

SHC wrote:The only other solution I can think of is somehow figuring out how to pbem with civ 2.
pbem freeciv by emailing savegames? Should be possible (speculating here, I have not tested) if a bit tiresome for the initial turns, by arranging server settings. I think you would want to run it in alternating moves phasemode. Not sure if you then need to have turnblock turned on so that phase of the not-currently-connected player is not skipped.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Freeciv-web already supports play by email, and there are lots of ongoing PBEM games right now.

Cazfi, Perhaps you could give it a try, and see if there is anything that could be improved based on your knowledge of the Freeciv server.