Freeciv-web ruleset

Join us, meet players from all around the world, challenge the strongest top players, practice and be one of them!
IZY5O

Freeciv-web ruleset

Post by IZY5O »

Hello AndreasR,

The most recent update to freeciv-web made tech research go too quickly! Is there a way for us to choose how long it takes to research techs? I see that this is part of a ruleset. Can we choose our own ruleset for freeciv-web? Or, better yet, can this be an option we can set at the start?

This is kind of important to me. I like to enjoy the early days of my civilization before we get into a space-race. ;)

-IZY.
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Freeciv-web ruleset

Post by AndreasR »

I'll try to get this fixed as soon as possible. Do you have an example of researching something which shows that the research speed is currently too high in the latest version of Freeciv-web?
Do you know which ruleset setting or file that the research speed is affected by?

There is the "sciencebox" server setting, see here: http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Server_options

Thanks for reporting this!

Andreas
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Hi Andreas,

Wow, you're fast! Thanks for the quick response.

I just started a new game and this is what I found...

/show: Current ruleset directory is "fcweb"
/show: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/show: In the column '##' the status of the option is shown:
/show: - a '!' means the option is locked by the ruleset.
/show: - a '+' means you may change the option.
/show: - a '=' means the option is on its default value.
/show: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/show: Option ## value (min, max)
/show: sciencebox = 100 (1, 10000)
/show: A help text for each option is available via 'help

BTW, thanks for the tip about "sciencebox".

I played a few turns and the research speed seems fine now.

However, there was another symptom with research that was misbehaving. If I found a hut (and quit the game without saving and then reloaded), no matter what was inside, next turn I would get a bump in tech as if I had found tech. So I checked this and yup, it still gives me the bump in tech regardless of what it contained. But this isn't so bad. ;)

-IZY.
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Hello Andreas,

After some more testing, it seems the tech problem stems from the huts.

Whenever any player moves on to a hut, every player gets a tech advance! :shock:

At least, that's how it appears.

Also, this might be affecting the obsolescence of wonders. They are going obsolete before anyone can build them. And sometimes they pop in and out of obsolescence from one turn to the next (probably due to a hut being discovered that turn). I suppose one can avoid these issues by setting the huts to 0. Of course then you lose a major part of the fun of chance discovery. :(

Hope this helps.

-IZY.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

andreas: Which freeciv server revision is in use currently? Pepeto has been making changes to research code, especially to team pooled research recently. I wonder if this could be related (hut techs getting "pooled" to everyone)
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

cazfi wrote:andreas: Which freeciv server revision is in use currently? Pepeto has been making changes to research code, especially to team pooled research recently. I wonder if this could be related (hut techs getting "pooled" to everyone)
Freeciv-web uses Freeciv SVN revision 25697. It is maybe one week old.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

btw. Freeciv development version savegame format will change soon in a way that's incompatible with current development version - compatibility with older stable versions will of course be maintained. bug #22378.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

IZY5O wrote: After some more testing, it seems the tech problem stems from the huts.

Whenever any player moves on to a hut, every player gets a tech advance! :shock:
I'm not able to reproduce this problem. Are you sure that this happens for you?

For example, I created a game with 30 AI players, and used the server setting '/set huts 500' (created 500 huts),
and still didn't get any free tech advances. So I wonder how this could have happened to you?
Perhaps some of your own units found a tech in a hut?

Andreas
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

The Freeciv-web server has been updated. Is this problem fixed now?
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

AndreasR wrote:The Freeciv-web server has been updated. Is this problem fixed now?
Hi Andreas,

Yes, problem appears to be fixed.

Thank you! :D

-IZY.