Freeciv-web Saved Game Repeats

Join us, meet players from all around the world, challenge the strongest top players, practice and be one of them!
Archimedes

Freeciv-web Saved Game Repeats

Post by Archimedes »

I played a game, saving, leaving, and coming back repeatedly over a few days, up until the 84th turn. I then loaded that save from the 84th turn and played a few more turns before saving again and quitting. Later, when I loaded this most current save, it brought up my game back on the 84th turn again. This now happens every time. I have tried continuing again and again, playing just a couple turns or well into the 90s, and making a new save. All these new saves show up in my saved game list, but each of them always loads my game from the 84th turn. I have no idea what's going on :?:
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Freeciv-web Saved Game Repeats

Post by AndreasR »

Archimedes wrote:I played a game, saving, leaving, and coming back repeatedly over a few days, up until the 84th turn. I then loaded that save from the 84th turn and played a few more turns before saving again and quitting. Later, when I loaded this most current save, it brought up my game back on the 84th turn again. This now happens every time. I have tried continuing again and again, playing just a couple turns or well into the 90s, and making a new save. All these new saves show up in my saved game list, but each of them always loads my game from the 84th turn. I have no idea what's going on :?:
Thanks for the bugreport. I will try to fix this.

Could you please try to reproduce this problem with savegames in as few steps as possible, and report how this problem happened?
(You might try in a different browser or clear your browser cache).

Also: how many savegames do you have in total?
Are you able to find out how much space these savegames
use of the local storage capacity in your browser?
I suspect that this could be related to the problem.

Andreas
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

In Firefox 22.0, it says my total web content cache is 12.8MB, but I don't know how much of that is specific to Freeciv-web. The last successful new save was my 19th total save. I've played further and added several more saves to that, but each starts on the same turn as the 19th save.

I'm not sure if it's related, but it generally takes me ten or twelve attempts to successfully load a game. It's always been this way. Most of the time, it starts a new game instead, with the message
/load: Cannot load a game while another is running.
/vote: Your new vote ("load Archimedes") was not legal or was not recognized.
This is even after I wait several minutes between each attempt, making sure there's no game left in the Current Games list from me.

I'll test things some more.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Do you have some more information about the issues with loading savegames? It seems to work okay for me.

I'd be very interested in ways to reproduce problems with loading games. In particular, if loading only works one in ten times for you,
how do you reproduce this?
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

For the first problem I had, I think it was actually just a one-off error. Here's what happened: I saved my game at turn 84, creating my 19th save, and then exited the game. Later, I loaded that 19th save and played for awhile, creating my 20th save and leaving again. Then, when I loaded the 20th save, I was back at turn 84, where my 19th save had been. I played for a few turns, created save 21, and left. Then I came back and loaded the 21st save, and once again I was at turn 84. This pattern continued, with each new saved game always putting me back at the 84th turn when loaded.

If you notice with that progression, I was always loading my newest save. I think some sort of error occurred the first time I loaded the 19th save. Then, this error was passed on to each subsequent save. I solved this simply by going back and loading my 19th save again, ignoring the 20th, 21st, etc. Now, I've continued my game awhile, through multiple saves and loads, and everything is fine. Weird! :D

----

The other problem with getting a game to load is a different issue. When I first return to the site and load a game, it asks me to choose a player name and login. The name I use, Archimedes, is automatically in the field, so I just hit the Login button. I then get a message saying "Loading game failed", and an OK button. This happens every time I first return to the site after previously closing Firefox. I then get the "Welcome to Freeciv-web" window and I choose Start Game, which leads to a new game being created. I haven't found any way to get around this bug.

After ending the new game, I attempt to load one of my saves again, and this time I do not have to choose a player name. It goes directly into the game and I get the "Welcome to Freeciv-web" window, where I again choose Start Game. However, if I click the Start Game button too quickly, then it will create a new game and, with the list of civs in red text, it says
"Archimedes lost control cmdlevel on game start. Use voting from now on."
This is what was happening to me before, forcing me to make a dozen attempts sometimes before successfully loading a game save. Now, I've figured out that if I simply wait at the "Welcome to Freeciv-web" window for a few seconds until I see the game loading in the background, and then hit the Start Game button, it loads successfully every time.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Archimedes wrote:For the first problem I had, I think it was actually just a one-off error.... Now, I've continued my game awhile, through multiple saves and loads, and everything is fine.
I had this happen again. I had a game saved in 140 CE. I loaded that save and played for a few turns, reaching 180 CE. When I clicked Turn Done at 180 CE though, nothing happened. The game just sat there for awhile until eventually a message came up saying there was a server error. I saved my game and quit since I couldn't end my turn and progress. Later, when I came back and loaded this save I made in 180 CE, it started me back at 140 CE, just like with my problem described above.

It could be coincidence, or it might be related: just a few minutes before I was unable to finish my turn and got the server error, an observer logged into my game. No messages came up of them doing anything, and there was never any message of them leaving either.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

This was useful, I have enough information to fix this now, and will make a fix as soon as possible!
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I have made several improvements to the loading of savegames, so I think that this problem has been solved now.
Could you please test saving and loading some games, and let me know if it works the way you expect it to now?

Andreas
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

AndreasR wrote:I have made several improvements to the loading of savegames, so I think that this problem has been solved now.
Could you please test saving and loading some games, and let me know if it works the way you expect it to now?

Andreas
When I first loaded a saved game and it asked me to choose a player name, I logged in and it worked! It's never succeeded on the first try like that before :D

However, a couple turns into my game, it appears the whole server crashed, and I lost my progress. I attempted to save, but it just gave me a message saying "Failed saving game", so I had to quit. If your server logs events like this, it happened maybe 20-30 minutes ago.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Archimedes wrote:
When I first loaded a saved game and it asked me to choose a player name, I logged in and it worked! It's never succeeded on the first try like that before :D
Great, then loading games works correctly.
Archimedes wrote: However, a couple turns into my game, it appears the whole server crashed, and I lost my progress. I attempted to save, but it just gave me a message saying "Failed saving game", so I had to quit. If your server logs events like this, it happened maybe 20-30 minutes ago.
Sorry about that. That was me deploying a new version to the server.