Excited to Start

Join us, meet players from all around the world, challenge the strongest top players, practice and be one of them!
kokonut

Excited to Start

Post by kokonut »

Can someone guide me please (links) to information relating to setting up a Server please?

I'm assuming I can grab a web host, with cPanel, FTP access and set up the Server that way?
I just couldn't find what specs are required to do so, or even if I'm on the right track.

Many thanks in advance,
Sydney, Australia
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Excited to Start

Post by Corbeau »

Depends what exactly you want. If you want to play a solo game, you don't need any of that. But if you want to play a game with your friends, then maybe exactly this, but still, other, much simpler options are possible. So, can you specify what exactly you want?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
kokonut

Post by kokonut »

Hey, thanks for taking the time and interest to reply. I really do appreciate it.

(1) Primarily, I am hoping that I can create a server where a number of people can connect to. To start with, I would play with my own group of 5 friends.

(2) Eventually, perhaps offering a place where people could join any list of available games, either solo play or multi-player, having a leader-board, etc.

I hope this narrows the options or my wish-list.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Well, for that, yes, you could rent your own server space. I don't know the details, but there are two things: it costs maybe 30 US$ per month (give or take a 10), and it takes some knowledge to set up. If those are not a problem for you, then great. If they are, I propose contacting some existing communities that roughly do things like this.

For example, I know that some "fast-turn" (as opposed to Longturn - one turn per day) games have been organised and invitations were happening on our Discord server. If you'd like to know more, follow the links in my signature.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
kokonut

Post by kokonut »

Thanks Corbeau. I checked your links and I love what you have done!

Ok, let me re-phrase my initial inquiry to those who view this post and may be able to assist.

1. Are there specs listed anywhere, and installation instructions for installing the application on a hosted server?

2. Is there anyone who has done something similar, or is their a discussion link, or forum site that I may join to participate and engage with?

Any details would be great, thanks again!
kokonut

Post by kokonut »

To help answer similar questions for anyone, this is what I have been informed.
If anyone wishes to chirp in and correct me, that would be awesome.

FreeCiv is not typically what some would call a game server compatible game .

How it works: (peer to peer)

First person's client acts as a server and you can turn on 'register with freeciv metaserver - aka a server browser'
then others with client software can see your client/server instance and join via the server meta browser list.

Its also Windows OS only.
jwrober

Post by jwrober »

In general, these would be the steps to setup and run your own server:

1. Download latest Freeciv code and install it on the Windows server. Any client version is fine as you don't need the client, just the server which is the same everywhere.
2. Setup a .serv file with the game parameters you want to play with. Here is an example for LongTurn's LTT ruleset -- https://github.com/longturn/games/blob/ ... local.serv
3. Setup a players file with the username and nation of the player in username::nation format (there is a sample in the same folder location in the above link)
4. Run the freeciv-server command from a command prompt with the -r switch to run the server and have it load all the settings from the .serv file
5. Connect to the server with a client and then /take your nation

If the players are not all playing on the same LAN as the server, you will need to open some kind of port forwarding to the internet so the players can hit your server from outside.
kokonut

Post by kokonut »

You are a CHAMPION!
qrtv10

Post by qrtv10 »

The easiest way to play multiplayer games on freecivweb.org. Unless you specifically want to use the desktop client of course. Another advantage of freecivweb.org is that you can play the Muliplayer 2 evolution rulesets there, that aren't available on the desktop client. MP2 rulesets are based on the MP ruleset, but further refined for multiplayer games.
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Post by Dino the Dinosore »

Its also Windows OS only.
Correction - also runs on Mac and *nix. There's installation instructions on the wiki.
https://freeciv.fandom.com/wiki/