fixing bugs, what branch and howto setup eclipse

Do you want to help out with Freeciv development? Then check out this forum.
simsulla

fixing bugs, what branch and howto setup eclipse

Post by simsulla »

Question 1: As of writing this topic (freeciv stable 2.5, dev 2.6) what github branch should I fork at github if I want to help out in looking at some of the server side bug issues?

Question 2: I have cloned the master, and set up a autotools chain eclipse project and am able to run both server and client in the debugger. But even after re-indexing and searching for includes I get a lot of code errors indications in eclipse. I have browsed the wiki coding section and INSTALL and HACKING text files, but can't find any pointers for how to set up your ide (in my case eclipse CDT). Could some one please give me some hints on getting the dev environment up and running.

Question 3: Some tips on a couple of server side buggs for a "nobe", like me, to start with?
simsulla

Re: fixing bugs, what branch and howto setup eclipse

Post by simsulla »

Excellent.. I will start working on them.
And the code track would be 2.5 (question 1)?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

simsulla wrote:Excellent.. I will start working on them.
And the code track would be 2.5 (question 1)?
Depends on ticket, but those are mostly for S3_0/master or master only. Some of them have target version set in the ticket, for some it's a bit open.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Hi simsulla,
simsulla wrote: Question 2: I have cloned the master, and set up a autotools chain eclipse project and am able to run both server and client in the debugger. But even after re-indexing and searching for includes I get a lot of code errors indications in eclipse. I have browsed the wiki coding section and INSTALL and HACKING text files, but can't find any pointers for how to set up your ide (in my case eclipse CDT). Could some one please give me some hints on getting the dev environment up and running.
IIRC, you need to add gen_headers/fc_config.h and gen_headers/freeciv_config.h to a list "macro-defining headers". It should cure most errors.

Louis
simsulla

Post by simsulla »

Thanks, I think I got most of the eclipse errors sorted out (though not entirely clear why after searching and clearing the indexer).
Then I will work in master (or branch if indicated in the ticket).
simsulla

Post by simsulla »

I have corrected #747319 #741526 #735948 #731199 #693389 #741552 see the pull request at github.

I have questions on #680052 see issue.

I have not corrected #735289, #735284, #735283, #731625, #707912: they are all client related. Hopefully, eventually I will work on the client part as well in freeciv-webgl but for now I'll stick to the server side.

I am working on #692371
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Good to see someone new contributing.

I went through your patches and found some minor issues to fix in them.

You may also want to join freeciv-dev mailing list at https://www.freelists.org/list/freeciv-dev and/or hang on #freeciv-dev irc channel at freenode.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:I went through your patches and found some minor issues to fix in them.
Are you going to update the patches, or should I take over?
simsulla

Post by simsulla »

Sorry I missed that my patches needed additional corrections (looking in the comments of a couple of the issues I now see I need to do so).
I will look into it monday, tuesday .