more or less complete testing (aka huge bug report :))

Do you want to help out with Freeciv development? Then check out this forum.
User avatar
meynaf
Veteran
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:27 am
Location: Lyon / France
Contact:

more or less complete testing (aka huge bug report :))

Postby meynaf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:24 am

This is my test of version 2.6, beta1. GTK3 client, Windows version.
Most of these are not new, already there in 2.5.9 / GTK2. I didn't re-test everything in 2.6, but if the changelog didn't forget them, then they're still there.

Problems found follow, in no particular order.
It is to me as a player, however i'm normally a coder. And, sorry, no time to dig into such a huge code base, the ruleset is already much :/
Of course if I missed something or if some have a workaround, please let me know :|

1.
Creamy backgrounds have mysteriously disappeared. The overall interface of 2.6 looks like a regression... :shock:

2.
Version 2.6 seems to mix its settings with previous version (i.e. located at same place and reused). :?
I think they should be separate, even if the ability to access old saved games seems fine (even if this is in server rather than client).

3.
Events that ought not be forgotten go in popups in my message settings, which is fine.
However, said popups block the view of underlying battles, making me miss all the action.
Not only that, but each one comes on top of others and messages are thus read in the reverse order.

4.
Cities automatically redone (any old how, like expected from an ai) for every change.
Only the change should be redone, which is what original game did. Or at least, should depend on some setting somewhere.
Already signaled. See here : http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89863

5.
"Not responding" giving freeze of animation with blur screen.
Already signaled. See here : http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=89868

6.
Used tileset not present in saved games.
Result : wrong tileset used when switching from square to/from hex games, forcing to change it manually.
Perhaps client and server should communicate on this.

7.
Missing messages :
Game: You sell %s in %s (now landlocked) for %d gold.
Something to say why a move can't be done. In several situations there is none (e.g. not enough moves for a settler to found a city).

8.
Path finding should not travel thru huts (which triggers accidental hut events). Nor should it go thru ships if these don't have free space (else goto option fails miserably).

9.
When the city is overcrowded, population is shown in a way that's much too tight. Starts around pop 40, awful with very large (80). Makes selecting them a pain.
And during all that time, there is unused space between pop and city name...

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1461
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: more or less complete testing (aka huge bug report :))

Postby cazfi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:53 pm

To everyone posting about bugs: Please report at least the actual bugs to the bugtracker at hostedredmine: http://www.hostedredmine.com/projects/f ... issues/new

What is only mentioned at the forum tend to soon get buried and forgotten. At bugtracker they stay in reports even if not fixed/implemented immediately.

User avatar
GriffonSpade
Elite
Posts: 561
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Re: more or less complete testing (aka huge bug report :))

Postby GriffonSpade » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:59 pm

meynaf wrote:1.
Creamy backgrounds have mysteriously disappeared. The overall interface of 2.6 looks like a regression... :shock:

Yeah, it's notable that the popups lack the cream coloration. Looking at it, the only reason the main screen has it is because it appears to be a background image.
I remember there being something about this a while back. I'm unsure on the specifics, though.

meynaf wrote:3.
Events that ought not be forgotten go in popups in my message settings, which is fine.
However, said popups block the view of underlying battles, making me miss all the action.
Not only that, but each one comes on top of others and messages are thus read in the reverse order.

Yes, dead center for automated popups is bad. Appearing at the middle-top would be superior.
Having the popups with priority on the oldest would be awesome too. (Would need to have a value attached to them, or maybe automatic shuffling the newest to the back when it pops up?)

meynaf wrote:6.
Used tileset not present in saved games.
Result : wrong tileset used when switching from square to/from hex games, forcing to change it manually.
Perhaps client and server should communicate on this.

Hmm, yes, that does seem like a thing that should happen. A bit counter-intuitive code-wise to save each player's exact tileset, but telling it to load one of the appropriate topography style seems like a no-brainer.

User avatar
meynaf
Veteran
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:27 am
Location: Lyon / France
Contact:

Re: more or less complete testing (aka huge bug report :))

Postby meynaf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:05 pm

GriffonSpade wrote:Yes, dead center for automated popups is bad. Appearing at the middle-top would be superior.
Having the popups with priority on the oldest would be awesome too. (Would need to have a value attached to them, or maybe automatic shuffling the newest to the back when it pops up?)

Wouldn't delaying popups be a better idea ?
The client can just store them in a list rather than opening them all at once.
Then, after everything has moved (and maybe after some small delay as well), the first one is opened.
And after some popup is closed, the next one appears, until there is none more.
At least, this is how I would do it.

User avatar
meynaf
Veteran
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:27 am
Location: Lyon / France
Contact:

Re: more or less complete testing (aka huge bug report :))

Postby meynaf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:09 pm

cazfi wrote:To everyone posting about bugs: Please report at least the actual bugs to the bugtracker at hostedredmine: http://www.hostedredmine.com/projects/f ... issues/new

What is only mentioned at the forum tend to soon get buried and forgotten. At bugtracker they stay in reports even if not fixed/implemented immediately.

This requires creating an account there. I post on the forum, hoping someone reading it and having an account will transmit.
But if you want me to flood your bug tracker, just say it ;)

cazfi
Elite
Posts: 1461
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: more or less complete testing (aka huge bug report :))

Postby cazfi » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:06 pm

meynaf wrote:2.
Version 2.6 seems to mix its settings with previous version (i.e. located at same place and reused). :?
I think they should be separate, even if the ability to access old saved games seems fine (even if this is in server rather than client).

Is this about client settings? If client does not find settings file of the current version, it tries to load settings from older versions in reverse order, and to migrate those settings. It always saves to the file specific to current version. What's the bug you are seeing here?

meynaf wrote:6.
Used tileset not present in saved games.
Result : wrong tileset used when switching from square to/from hex games, forcing to change it manually.
Perhaps client and server should communicate on this.

Can you give exact instructions to reproduce this?

User avatar
meynaf
Veteran
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:27 am
Location: Lyon / France
Contact:

Re: more or less complete testing (aka huge bug report :))

Postby meynaf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:54 am

cazfi wrote:Is this about client settings? If client does not find settings file of the current version, it tries to load settings from older versions in reverse order, and to migrate those settings. It always saves to the file specific to current version. What's the bug you are seeing here?

If it does this, then there is no bug. Perhaps some message should say that the settings were imported from previous version, though.


cazfi wrote:Can you give exact instructions to reproduce this?

:oops: Tested again, this does not happen in 2.6.0. In 2.5.9 there is a single tileset choice.
Sorry, it was hidden somewhere in doc/freeciv/NEWS (GNA#16668) and i miserably missed it.