looking to help, if possible.

Do you want to help out with Freeciv development? Then check out this forum.
ThelnaofER

looking to help, if possible.

Post by ThelnaofER »

Hello,

I am not sure where to post this, so I hope this is the place.

I am playing freeCiv and there are some things I am noticing that are missing. Now, either I have not turned them on, or else they are not in the game as of yet. Here are some of the things i keep looking for:

1. Tool tip or ctr+left click on a tile for info about the land.
2. When in city view, I click on a building or a world wonder but it does not tell me what that object does for me. I have to go to the help menu and look up the information, for buildings, Units, and wonders of the world.

Please let me know if this is already in the game, but i have to activate it or install some plug in. Also, is it possible this stuff is not in the game this way because of possible copyright issues with the original game.

I would like to help if at all possible.
Ceres

Re: looking to help, if possible.

Post by Ceres »

The first one is already there - you get info about a tile by Alt+clicking on it or clicking it with the middle mouse button (see Help>Controls).

About the second one, I'd like to see that too. While there is a "Help" button under the production list which links you to the help page of the selected unit/building/whatever, it only works for things that can still be built, so you can't use it to get help about things you already built (unless you select "show future targets" at the top, which also includes already built buildings and wonders).
ThelnaofER wrote:Also, is it possible this stuff is not in the game this way because of possible copyright issues with the original game.
I'm no lawyer, but I don't think it's possible to copyright general gameplay features like these.
nef
Elite

Re: looking to help, if possible.

Post by nef »

ThelnaofER wrote:2. When in city view, I click on a building or a world wonder but it does not tell me what that object does for me. I have to go to the help menu and look up the information, for buildings, Units, and wonders of the world.
I know I am a little late to this party, but better late than never. <ctrl> double left click for items in the overview page. Don't make a mistake otherwise you might sell the building. This is clearly(!) documented in the change log (about 10 - 15 years ago) but the doco has apparently not made it into the (gtk) product (i.e. no tool tip; no nothing else either).

For the production page you need to hit the help button. Nice and consistent eh?