Show your font options

Do you want to help out with Freeciv development? Then check out this forum.
mir3x
Veteran

Show your font options

Post by mir3x »

I want to do some font autosetting on first run, eg trying to set font height, and trying some typical fonts.
So u can write your screen resolution, if font DPI is set set to some value,
if its windows then if there are some strange font settings in control system eg. font normal or large

eg. mine
screen res:1920x1080
DPI = 96

and fonts attached on pic
or just write your favourite fonts family
Attachments
a5.jpg
dunnoob
Elite

Re: Show your font options

Post by dunnoob »

I'm not sure what that's about, but not all Windows users have source code pro + liberation, and the segoe UI on Windows 7 needs an update to support more emojis. To avoid specific font issues I use generic font-families Monospace, Sans, and Serif: screenshot.

Apparently Freeciv cannot display u+1F4A9 (pile of poo) at the moment on my box, it displays something else: Unexpected city name for the natives, but copy+paste in the chatline also fails (2.6.0-beta0-r33596).

Fun fact, the forum also does not support pile of poo, ''Your message contains the following unsupported characters:" u+1F4A9, and age 6.0 indicates the ancient Unicode standard 6, current is 8.
mir3x
Veteran

Post by mir3x »

>> I'm not sure what that's about
If someone has 4k screen and low dpi then fonts should have higher size than default.
If 1024x768 and high dpi then it might be smaller.
>> Windows users dont have source code pro + liberation
But worth a check and use instead crap like 'serif' or 'monospace' which defaults to some bs.
ITs why I'm ask. I'll chceck if font x,y,z,u is available then set font options to use them if they are present.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

mir3x wrote: crap like 'serif' or 'monospace' which defaults to some bs.
Actually I'm unwilling to even try non-generic fonts in Freeciv, and the Pile of Poo still works everywhere for me outside of Freeciv and this forum.

Screenshot of a mutilated Pile of Poo (vintage 2010 Unicode 6) display in 2.6.0-beta1, cf. HRM 701158:
701158 Pile Of Poo.png
Last edited by dunnoob on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

As you can see I like consistency. Noto fonts are from the Android project, and used by default on Plasma 5. I use the same settings on two different computers, with screen resolutions of respectively 1280x1024 and 1366x768 (both low DPI).
font_options.png
thelifeofapanca

Post by thelifeofapanca »

louis94 wrote:As you can see I like consistency. Noto fonts are from the spel Android project, and used by default on Plasma 5. I use the same settings on two different computers, with screen resolutions of respectively 1280x1024 and 1366x768 (both low DPI).
font_options.png
Wow great stuff! Thank you very much!