Infinite games

Do you want to help out with Freeciv development? Then check out this forum.
elanto

Infinite games

Post by elanto »

Can I make infinites games in freeciv? Can I remove the limit of the turns?
Sorry for my bad inglish, I am Spanish.
thank you very much for the help.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Infinite games

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Currently, code wise, it's not possible, since the turn number is saved as a two-byte number. However, if you know where to look, you could save the game when nearing the final turn, modify the save game to say turn 0 and load the new one.
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Caedo wrote:Currently, code wise, it's not possible, since the turn number is saved as a two-byte number. However, if you know where to look, you could save the game when nearing the final turn, modify the save game to say turn 0 and load the new one.
...at which point you will have units with negative age etc.

Maximum number of turns is 32767 which already is almost 100 times the length of typical game. You can set that to use by typing "/set endturn 32767" to chatline.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

BTW, why isn't the turn number a ushort? We'll never need negative turns, right?
~ AVL
elanto

Post by elanto »

It should have an option for that victory was to eliminate all opponents, would give the game more playability
In Civilization is it? I read that someone had a game of 10 years!
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

elanto wrote:I read that someone had a game of 10 years!
Yes, that game was something like 4000 AC, which makes it somewhere around turn 4000 - one tenth of the freeciv maximum.
elanto

Post by elanto »

I mean 10 years of real time. The game was in the year 3391. And he says that even his remaining years of play and was gonna try to change the world that had been apocalyptic. Is this possible in FreeCiv?
Thank you all for the answers and if anyone knows how to do unlimited to tell me :)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

For most of us the current freeciv maximum of 32767 turns is practically infinite.

As I said year 3391 AD is less than turn 4000. Maximum number of turns in Freeciv is over 30000 - almost 10 times the number of turns that guy has played in 10 years.

Play the game to turn 20000 first (50 years in real time :-), and then we start worrying how to increase the limit while you play next 12000.
elanto

Post by elanto »

jajaja ok
thank you very much to all for the info! :)