"New Zealand" scenario map

Can you help improve your favourite game? Hardcore C mages, talented artists, and players with any level of experience are welcome!
BevanFindlay

"New Zealand" scenario map

Post by BevanFindlay »

Hi all, newbie here, so apologies if this is being posted in the wrong place.

I created a New Zealand map, attempting to make the terrain as realistic as possible (based off current modern terrain: if it was terrain as found by the first humans here, most of the map would be forest). Civilizations on the map are loosely based off the most common ethnicities here, but start locations were basically chosen arbitrarily (except for Australia).

I hope you enjoy it!

(P.S. I actually like Australians, but the opportunity of including a tiny, mostly-desert Australia was too fun to miss!)
Attachments
New_Zealand-84x120-v2.0.sav.bz2
(12.12 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
XYZ
Elite

Re: "New Zealand" scenario map

Post by XYZ »

Hi all, newbie here, so apologies if this is being posted in the wrong place.
It's alright here. Unfortunately, there is no real download section in the forum.
I created a New Zealand map, attempting to make the terrain as realistic as possible (based off current modern terrain: if it was terrain as found by the first humans here, most of the map would be forest). Civilizations on the map are loosely based off the most common ethnicities here, but start locations were basically chosen arbitrarily (except for Australia).
Awesome map! you even included the names of the most important geographical features.

I thought the other day about making a map of Oceania but budged because of the workload and the question wether I should make it in hexes or iso...
Anyhow, as someone who has made a lot of scenarios, I can see the level of dedication you put into this. Did you make the map from scratch? Have you thought about making a scenario based on Australia? Are you planning on creating "animated" scenarios?

I took the liberty to include a mini-map of your scenario. I hope it doesn't spoil.
Attachments
New Zealand map-pic1-T0000-Y-4000-M-bcfktuZ2P000plrid.map.png
BevanFindlay

Post by BevanFindlay »

Thanks. And thanks for the mini-map thing too: I hadn't thought of including that.

I basically made it from scratch. I worked out that if I zoomed an image to the correct scale, I could Alt-Tab between that map image and the freeciv map editor and have them line up, which made things a lot easier. The technique wouldn't work so well for a hex-based map, though could still be done.

I don't know that I'll create too many more maps. It is time-consuming, and I've had other things to do (attempting to learn game development, plus I've been playing Civilization VI after picking it up free a couple of weeks ago...) Was an interesting challenge though – and New Zealand doesn't get nearly enough love on maps, as we're the country that keeps getting missed off world maps. :) (IIRC, this was the case for the original Civilization game's map too). Did a quick hunt, and I think I was right about NZ missing from the old Civ 1 map: https://www.gry-online.pl/galeria/html/ ... 140328.jpg. I was most annoyed by that (not that NZ would have been big enough to support even a single city properly, but still). The joys of gaming back in the late 80s/early 90s. :)
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

I don't know that I'll create too many more maps. It is time-consuming, and I've had other things to do (attempting to learn game development, plus I've been playing Civilization VI after picking it up free a couple of weeks ago...) Was an interesting challenge though – and New Zealand doesn't get nearly enough love on maps, as we're the country that keeps getting missed off world maps. :) (IIRC, this was the case for the original Civilization game's map too). Did a quick hunt, and I think I was right about NZ missing from the old Civ 1 map: https://www.gry-online.pl/galeria/html/ ... 140328.jpg. I was most annoyed by that (not that NZ would have been big enough to support even a single city properly, but still). The joys of gaming back in the late 80s/early 90s. :)
It definitely is. I usually took computer generated maps and landscaped/animated every single tile. However, I always relied on someone who would provide them for me and most of them are not active anymore.

Hehe, hope you settled your score now!

I took the liberty to integrate your scenarios with the ones I created or that I found scattered in the forums. You can find them here now:

http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=809