Msys2 based Windows Installer testing

Freeciv builds other than releases, for people to test.
cazfi
Elite

Msys2 based Windows Installer testing

Post by cazfi »

Up to version 2.6, freeciv Windows Installers have been built using msys1. For freeciv-3.0 it's no longer suitable. It's simply too outdated, and is lacking many of the minimum requirements freeciv-3.0 has. Freeciv-3.0 will use msys2 based solution instead. While official builds of freeciv-2.6 will be made with msys1, experimental support for msys2 based builds is going to be there too - we can't bring it to freeciv-3.0 with confidence if we have not had the experimental phase already in 2.6. This thread is about testing these builds.

First build is now available at http://download.gna.org/freeciv/package ... ha+r32688/
It's from freeciv S2_6 branch revision 32688. Only gtk3-client package is available. Also, many features have been disabled to make it work this far:
- NLS (Natural Language Support) is disabled. There is no translations but it uses internal texts, i.e., American English. This makes the installer a bit confusing as it still tries to provide the options from the list of zero translations
- Audio is disabled
- Bzip2-based savegame compression is disabled (this is usually the default, no less)
- Sqlite-based player authentication is disabled
- Readline is disabled

We hope to get these enabled one by one in the future builds.

I'm also making msys1 based build from the very same revision 32688 of S2_6, so one compared the two to see what problems are specific to msys2 build.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Msys2 based Windows Installer testing

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Alright, here come the test results:
  • UI is finally being rendered nicely (used to be strangely flat in previous gtk3 clients, at least for me)
    EDIT: A lot of icons, such as the minimze/maximize/close window buttons and the +/- next to certain input fields are replaced by a placeholder graphic; some other icons, such as arrows next to drop-down menus in the options dialogs, are completely missing.
  • Client crash on clicking "Pick nation"
  • cmdlevel for localhost connections (including singleplayer) isn't correctly set, as previously in r32464.
    EDIT: Sometimes it is. Not sure why and when, but possibly when reconnecting after losing the connection.
I'll expand this list when I find more.
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Caedo wrote:[*]UI is finally being rendered nicely (used to be strangely flat in previous gtk3 clients, at least for me)
Is that also compared to msys1 build of the same revision (r32688)? If yes, then it's most likely because msys2 based build ships with gtk+ 3.20.x and msys1 build is stuck with gtk+ 3.8.x (don't remember exact versions, and can't check now. Help -> About Freeciv should list those, though)

The icons issue I've noticed myself and is related to gtk+ version. Newer gtk+ would want "icon theme" with it. Working on it...
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

cazfi wrote:Is that also compared to msys1 build of the same revision (r32688)?
Yeah, the UI differences seem to be based on the gtk+ version, both the rounder buttons and missing icons.

Also, I think the directory for the msys2 version is mislabeled; both the filename and the readme say r32668, but the directory says r32688.
~ AVL
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I get a '404' error message when I click on ' http://download.gna.org/freeciv/package... ha+r32688/'
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Caedo wrote:Also, I think the directory for the msys2 version is mislabeled; both the filename and the readme say r32668, but the directory says r32688.
Fixed (and arbogast seems not to like it. ;-)

It's now http://download.gna.org/freeciv/package ... ha+r32668/
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Build from freeciv trunk: http://download.gna.org/freeciv/package ... 718-msys2/

The fixes made since S2_6 based build have been specific to TRUNK (i.e., fixed things that prevented me from making trunk build available at the same time as S2_6 build)
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Apparently the cmdlevel problem seems to have fixed itself (for the 2_6 version) - no idea what's going on there.

TRUNK version seems to be basically the same as 2_6 version: same UI (including missing icons) and same crash on opening the Pick Nation dialog.

On an unrelated note, is it intended that most GUI controls (actually, pretty much everything except for the background) are gray in gtk3 versions instead of the old beige?

Also, what exactly is the TRUNK gtk3x version? Should I try both versions? I've only tested the regular gtk3 so far.
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Caedo wrote:Apparently the cmdlevel problem seems to have fixed itself (for the 2_6 version) - no idea what's going on there.
I suspect the issue is in creation of some file or directory (or other persistent stuff) on first run - once you get it (any freeciv version that creates that problematic file/dir/other) to run once, such things are there for later executions to use. In fact, I identified one such issue (in some cases "~/.freeciv" directory would not be created on Windows - no idea what the "~" translates to in msys2 builds (might be different from msys1 builds))
Caedo wrote:On an unrelated note, is it intended that most GUI controls (actually, pretty much everything except for the background) are gray in gtk3 versions instead of the old beige?
Is this different compared to latest freeciv-2.5 msys1 builds (including releases)? One thing that affects that was changed some time ago, already (I think before 2.5.2 & 2.5.3 releases). in short; no theme is not supposed to look like that, but that's just a matter of it not being implemented yet. The fact that the earlier versions had the buttons themed was actually a consequence of a bug. Said bug was probably root cause that gtk3-client was unusable for some people, so reinstating it as a workaround to this problem is not an option)
Caedo wrote:Also, what exactly is the TRUNK gtk3x version? Should I try both versions? I've only tested the regular gtk3 so far.
See the README, or "original submission" (below all the comments, like comment #0) http://gna.org/patch/index.php?6057 - some of the info there has outdated since (gtk2-client is going to be dropped completely from 3.1, in 3.0 it's not fully maintained)
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

cazfi wrote:
Caedo wrote:On an unrelated note, is it intended that most GUI controls (actually, pretty much everything except for the background) are gray in gtk3 versions instead of the old beige?
Is this different compared to latest freeciv-2.5 msys1 builds (including releases)? One thing that affects that was changed some time ago, already (I think before 2.5.2 & 2.5.3 releases). in short; no theme is not supposed to look like that, but that's just a matter of it not being implemented yet. The fact that the earlier versions had the buttons themed was actually a consequence of a bug. Said bug was probably root cause that gtk3-client was unusable for some people, so reinstating it as a workaround to this problem is not an option)
Since describing what exactly the UIs look like is probably a fruitless effort, I've made some screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/vh3zW
These are all of 2.6-alpha r32668: gtk2, msys1 gtk3 and msys2 gtk3; a main menu and a game screen each. 2.5 gtk2 client looks the same as 2.6 gtk2; TRUNK msys2 looks the same as 2.6 msys2. I also added some annotations to the game screen in red and ignored the issue with the icons. Perhaps this will give you some insight into the matter.
~ AVL